Saturday, September 16, 2006

A Trip To Fort Worth Texas


So, I was informed at work that I would be traveling to Fort Worth, Texas for business. I have to say that I wasn't exactly thrilled at the prospect of going there. To be honest, I was there about 2 months ago, and it was so incredibly hot that I felt like I was in a perpetual state of melting (not unlike the Wicked Witch on the Wizard of Oz, was that the right show?). The best way that I could have described the heat 2 months ago so that most of you will understand is that walking outside into the heat and humidity of Fort Worth, TX was a lot like riding Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disneyland. You know, the part of the ride in which Mr. Toad dies and goes to Hell and they have these machines that chuck hot, humid air at the passenger to simulate hell. That's what Ft. Worth, TX heat felt like to me.

Then there's the bugs. Now, I typically don't mind bugs, but the bugs in Texas have attitudes - and bad ones at that. Simply put, a rather large cricket held me hostage while it continuously jumped at me and made these rather awful noises. When I say jump, I mean like attack jump. Leap, get about 4 feet or so of air and come right for me. It was actually pretty funny in retrospect, but at the time I must say I wasn't amused.

So, needless to say I was less than thrilled at the prospect of repeating my earlier adventure, especially as I would be traveling on September 11th, the 5th anniversary of 911. I chose a direct flight out of Ontario hoping that it would be very uneventful. My thinking, who would want to hijack a plane from Ontario to Ft. Worth? Most people must have had the same kind of apprehension as me as the airport was empty, and my flight maybe had 15-20 people on it. It was great for me, because I got to stretch out with a good book, as there were no passengers next to me.

The flight was actually pretty good, and I'm not much for flying as it hurts my ears. It was very peaceful...the most tranquil flight I've ever had. Initially, my flight was delayed due to thunderstorms, but once we got up in the air it was amazing. There were these really big, gray-blue puffy clouds emitting big bolts of lighting right next to the plane. It was amazing! Like my own personal light show in the skies.

We touched down in Ft. Worth without incident, and I walked out into the night expecting the worst, really bracing for the heat, and to my surprise it was cool. It was actually beautiful. After spending the next few days there I can see why people would want to live there. Besides all of the open fields, they CAN have some beautiful weather. Hmm, I guess Ft. Worth wasn't so bad after all. :P

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh wow. I love how you described your first trip to Texas. You have a way with words. As for the bugs, Kevin and Luann, Jeff's parents still talk about the bugs from when they lived in Texas.

I wondered how it would be to fly on September 11th. I am surprised it was so empty. I thought it would probably be the safest day to fly.

Pam said...

Great story. And I'm glad it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be.

Mel said...

I wasn't surprised to see the plane empty. I mean, no one wanted to fly on September 11th. It probably was the safest day to fly, but it had the most intense emotions.