Monday, September 18, 2006

A Very Big Day!!

Today was a very big day in the Bonney Household. Today, marked the first day that I put him in "Big Boy" underpants.I started out the morning making a very big deal out of it. My logic: If I make a big deal, it will be a success on the very first day. After all, my kid is a genius. :P

As we are progressing through the morning routine, we get to the part where we would change his diaper (or HE would change his diaper - as I have already stated...he IS a genius) I bring him into the bedroom and lay out about 10 packages of brand new underwear. I sit him down and explain that today he is a big boy and today he will get to wear big boy underpants. He can wear ANY big boy underpants that he wants...and we do have a selection. We had Nemo, Thomas the Train, Spiderman, Dinosaurs, Elmo, Madagascar, and Race cars just to name a few. I look at Caiden with anticipation, and try to sound as excited as I can.

Caiden stands above the newly packaged underwear in awe. He takes a moment and ponders this momentous decision (and of course I know that's what he is doing because...that's right...you guessed it...he's a genius. How did you know?) :) Eventually (what seems like an eternity for me because we are running late (c'mon you know I'm not a morning person), he picks Nemo underwear. I have posted a picture of the exact underpants that he chose for your viewing pleasure. I am sure that when Caiden is 20 he will TRULY appreciate what a dedicated mom I was to document these kinds of events.

I calmly explain to Caiden the purpose behind the new underpants, and his responsibility (to explain when he needs to go potty so we can safely keep Nemo dry and happy). I understand that my logic is a little flawed as Nemo is a fish and would prefer to be drenched in water, however I explain to Caiden that Nemo does not like to be peed on or well, you get the picture.

Anyway, I quiz Caiden after my lecture. It goes something like this..."Caiden, so where do you go pee pee?" Caiden responds by pointing to his pants. Ok, so maybe I'm not as influential and persuasive as I once thought. I quickly switch tactics and decide to go with repetition. We repeat the mantra, "we potty in the toilet, NOT in our pants" over and over. We do this until we reach his school. I quickly give him a kiss goodbye and remind him to be nice to Nemo. Keep Nemo dry!

After work, I am anxious to see how many pairs of clothes Caiden went through (I brought 4 changes of clothes - I didn't know how many I would need, so I just kept packing). I get to his school and do a little happy dance when I see that he has only 1 soiled pair of pants in a plastic baggy, however my happy dance turns a bit sour when I find out that his school simply gave up after one soiled set of pants. I pick Caiden up to discover that his school has put him back in Pull-ups.

Well, we'll see who has the last laugh. I am now determined to win this battle. After all, when I signed Caiden up in this school they firmly and clearly agreed that they would assist me in potty training. I resolve to never purchase another set of pull-ups for the school again! I intend to send him with another 4 pairs of clothes tomorrow and of course new big boy underpants (Caiden's choice).

5 comments:

Hart's Haven said...

Way to go Melissa!!!!!!!! Great job in handling the new potty training. Your approach is awesome and yes Caiden is a genius and knows who will let him go in his pants and who will expect him to go on the potty. Stay firm with the school and let them know what you expect because Caiden is ready. Excellent job! Keep it up! Love you all

Pam said...

I love the story. Thanks for sharing. I like your idea about not buying them any pull ups. Maybe they wont give him pull ups if they have to buy them.

Keep us posted.

Wendy said...

That sounds like a lot of work. Good luck. I will be able to ask you for advice in a few years.

Mel said...

They still have him in pull-ups part of the day, but they will run out eventually...then what will they do? :P

Anonymous said...

And so the tradition goes on. You had wonderwoman underware!!! Aren't you happy I shared that with all of your friends??!!