Friday, October 27, 2006

Teaching and Inspiring Creativity


As many of you know, Caiden and I are ALWAYS on the road. The above is a picture of us driving to work and school this morning. During the long car ride, we often listen to what Caiden affectionately named "Caiden's song" AKA Veggie Tales, sing at the top of our lungs, while talking about our surroundings.



As any good mom, I believe that breakfast is a very important meal for a growing boy. Notice the nutritious breakfast that I have provided. (No, it's not a corn dog...it's a pancake - and a chocolate chip one at that...with sausage in the middle). Ok, so today was not the best example of a healthy breakfast, but if you were to look down you would see a nice, tall glass of milk for Caiden. See, I have it right...sometimes :P

Anyways, so oftentimes I am struck with a guilty conscience. Am I in the car too much with Caiden? Did I make the right decision to hike 2 hours or more one way in the car just to live in a nice house surrounded by family in California? What was I thinking agreeing to drive so much - I don't like traffic?

All of these things go through my mind on any given day...and then something like the below happens, and I am struck with the realization that I am doing just fine. You see, although we have a long drive, I am teaching my son patience (because you are going to get to your destination when traffic allows you to, flexibility (I'll move over a smidge so this very annoying motorcyclist can squeeze through the lane that he shouldn't be using), and above all...creativity! Yeah, you heard me right. Creativity. After all, whose kid is bored enough that they take their socks and shoes off and make hand puppets out of their socks and thoroughly enjoys himself? That's right...my kid does. I'm a good mom for driving 4 hours a day with Caiden. I am teaching him lifelong values as well as developing his artistic side. Well, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :)

0 comments: