Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Nice Neighbor


Dave and I are very fortunate to live around very nice neighbors. I think that we are so fortunate because we all bought our houses at the same time, as they were being built, so we all bonded together over the newness of our neighborhood. We instantly had things in common. Also, our neighbors just appear to be very nice people.

Well our direct next door neighbor (the Marine), he has been mowing our lawn, along with his for the past few months, and I do mean months. Now, it's not like we don't want to mow our own lawn, but it seems that every time we plan to do it, the Marine, Chris, beats us to it.

I work on weekdays, so weekends are it for me. That is really the only time I can mow the lawn. Every time I plan to do it on a Saturday, he mows it on Thursday or Friday. If Dave is home during the week, and he hears the lawn mower going, he will run outside and tell Chris that he will mow the lawn and not to worry about it. Chris always says that it's not a problem and he enjoys doing it.

Still, I feel guilty. On Monday, I stayed home with Caiden because he has not been feeling well. I finally work up the energy to go outside and mow the lawn and do the yard work. The problem is the lawnmower. It is a great lawnmower, and it is only 1 year old. It has an electric starter, or so I'm told which allows me to push a button and theoretically it is supposed to start. Again, I said THEORETICALLY.

Like all mechanical things that completely flabbergast me, the lawnmower is temperamental about when it chooses to start with the electric starter. Unfortunately, if I get it on a day that it choose NOT to start, I am at the mercy of a nice neighbor to help me start the lawnmower as I can't seem to pull hard enough and fast enough to make the darn thing start. So frustrating as I consider myself a rather strong girl.

My neighbor Paul came to my rescue on Monday and pulled the rope hard and fast and up started the lawnmower. I was able to mow mine and Chris's yard quickly enough to do ALL of the yard work and clean up before he got home. Caiden and I then went to the store, and as we were pulling in Chris walks up, smiles and says "tell your husband I said thank you for mowing the lawn".

I looked at him proudly and said "Dave's working, he won't be home until tomorrow. I mowed it". Chris just looked at me like I was crazy. I could sense that he was trying to phrase what he wanted to say in a polite, PC manner, and then he looked at my stomach, which I have to say is rather large and getting in my way, and said..."Why? Are you trying to get some exercise". I just looked at him, smiled and said, "Nope. I was trying to beat you to doing it. Every time I am about to mow the lawn I come home and you have already done it." Chris started laughing and said that that was funny because he had planned to come home tonight and mow the lawn. "I KNEW it"...I said. "See, now you don't have to."

I even tried to impress him by mowing criss cross lines (very professional), but I got a bit hot and tired, so I didn't do the cross part of the criss if you know what I mean. I have posted pictures as you can see, so you can revel in my mowing abilities...now only if I could keep those darn plants alive :P

As you can see there is Criss, but no Cross :)

3 comments:

Pam said...

Quite impressive. Funny story. You show him your pregnant woman power!

Anonymous said...

You can mow my lawn too...it would take you all of 4 seconds (including the criss and the cross)!! :)

Wendy said...

That is awesome. I love it how he was so shocked that you mowed the lawn. And it was nice of you to make a real effort to do it so you could mow his too and nice of your neighbors to help start the mower. I guess that the whole street is nice.