Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My Book Is PUBLISHED!!!!




When I was a little girl,(ok not THAT little, I was in 6th grade), I wrote a story about a Little Elephant who wore hearing aids. This was a story that I had written about my perception of my sister's experiences growing up as a hard of hearing girl. It was frustating for me to watch my sister being taunted for:
1. something that she could not control, and
2. something that made her special and unique.

Writing this story was my way of working through my feelings, and in a way re-writing history to create the friend and experience that I wanted for my sister.

Ever since I wrote that story it was a dream of mine to have it published, so that the message could get out there to Deaf and Hard of Hearing kids that you are NOT impaired by any stretch of the imagination. You can do anything you want to do, you just have to believe in yourself and be confident about who you are. I also wanted children to be more understanding of people with differences, as it is these differences that make us unique and the world a more interesting place. I was hoping that maybe this book could help other children to:
1. Understand that differences are ok and not to judge others by their looks.
2. Being a good friend is the most important thing, not popularity.

These are messages I yeared to get out, hoping to spare future kids, even if just one child, the heartache that my sister had to endure as a young child. However I am not now, nor will I EVER be an artist, and I had no idea how to illustrate it. I tried multiple people, but time and life got in the way.

For our 10 year wedding anniversary, Dave decided to make one of my dreams come true as he found someone able and WILLING to illustrate my story, AND he got it published for me. I know, right?? How do you EVER top that gift?! Of course when he presented the idea to me, I cried like a baby (and I am NOT a crier). I was just so touched.

We worked on the final version together, but really the grunt work was done by Dave (with assistance from my mom). The result is that my book is now published with a small company. I am now able to take this finished product and show it to larger publishing firms in hopes of broadening the audience, making it more accessible.

In the meantime, you can see and purchase my book featured at the following link:

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/522183/86152bae2d034fbb485997fd4e7c5f63

2 comments:

Sarah said...

What a great present! Happy Anniversary!

butterflydreams said...

That is so awesome congrats!