Wednesday, October 07, 2009

The Unveiling Of Kiya's Mural!!

Who knew that Dave could be so artistic? But that's exactly what he is. He is a man of many talents as you can see below.


Since I have been home and we had some extra time (he took off work to help me), we decided to change Kiya's room into the bigger room (formerly the guest room). In doing so we bought her a big girl bed and started discussion on a mural. When we spoke about doing a mural for Kiya's room we had lots of visions for it, but since I have been out of work due to the surgery we have also been tight on money. This is when Dave had the great idea that he would paint the mural himself.

Kiya surveying the progress of her mural
Dave painting in the house
His progress without the projector :)

Now I must preface before I continue further that Dave has never painted a mural before nor have I really seen him draw anything. He does has great visionary skills (after all he designed our pool), as well as dedication, perseverance and perfectionist tendencies. I have to admit, while I believe in his skills, I was a little hesitant because it is quite the big mural, and he has no experience with these types of things.


The right side of her wall with a fairy, flowers and a butterfly
The detail is great :) You see the snail shell? He actually went out to the backyard to get a snail shell, and the seashell, he used Caiden's shell from a previous entry

We found some pictures that we wanted, and bought a projector (on clearance) and Dave went to work. For two weeks he worked tirelessly on this mural. It turned out SOO great, and Kiya loves it. She points to the tree and says "Daddy" and something that sounds like "paint". I think she knows that he did this just for her. :)

Dave is very proud of his butterfly
Flowers :)
This is his least favorite fairy but I think it came out well
This is my favorite fairy, especially the blue streaks in her hair
This is Dave's favorite fairy
The tree went much faster. He did it in about 2 days
finishing touches
DONE!!!! Exhausted but happy to be done
Final product :)

So now every night she gets to go to sleep in her new big girl room, with her big girl bed, dreaming her big girl dreams under a beautiful tree and wonderland that her daddy painted for her.



Kiya's big girl bed. She needs to step stool to get up to it

With a dreamworld like this...Imagine the possibilities (just like the sign says)

7 comments:

HeatherW said...

Awww what a good mommy for giving Kiya such an AWESOME room!!

Anonymous said...

God I am glad that is done. It is much harder to do than I ever thought. It's not Caiden's room but hey, not to bad for never having done anything like this.

Hart's Haven said...

Dave did a fantastic job!!!!!!! Hope Kiya likes it.

Annie Shafai said...

WOW, I am so impressed! Dave did an amazing job. It os so cute and so girly. Love it.

Tanya Q said...

Melissa, this brought tears to my eyes! Kiya is going to grow up remembering what her dad did for her and it's going to bring her so many wonderful memories as she grows and maybe someday has her own children and can tell them about the room that her daddy made so beautiful for her. He did an amazing job. I love this!! xo

Stephen said...

WOW!!! Dave did a fantastic job! What a very sweet thing to do. Kiya is going to have some wonderful memories of this.

Pam said...

Looks absolutely fantastic. I am so impressed!