Thursday, September 21, 2006

Lack of Sleep = Embarrassment

Ok, so Tuesday and Wednesday we had an Ops Review at work. This is where the entire management team gets together, including the Vice President and Director to share the results thus far, as well as to discuss strategies and strengths and weaknesses. There tend to be very few breaks, and the time together is jam packed of presentations, discussions, and basically a LOT of work.

Well, to be honest, I haven't been sleeping very well. Call it a case of insomnia or something, but I have been a creature of late that doesn't see the underside of her eyelids - at least I haven't for very long.

Now for those of you who know me, I am NOT a morning person (that is the understatement of the year), and I need my coffee in the morning. (*My name is Melissa and I am a Coffee Addict* - crowd says, "Hi Melissa"). A morning with no coffee is a bad combination, especially when morning people(really annoying, peppy people) inhabit my space on these unusual days. Anyway, so this particular morning (I would say which morning, but remember I have not had any sleep and I don't remember what I wrote two seconds ago, nevermind what day it was when this story happened) I had not had my coffee yet. I arrived late to work, as my newly potty trained (in-process) son had a slight mishap which caused a delay in our schedule.

Knowing that I am already late for work, I cannot possibly stop and get coffee, so I do the unthinkable....I go to work WITHOUT coffee. I know, I couldn't believe I did it either, but there it is. Halfway through the first presentation I found myself fighting the urge to explore what the underside of my eyelids REALLY look like (translation: I was falling asleep).

Seeing that the VP was sitting directly in front of me, and my director was off to my left I thought it best if I discreetly excuse myself from the meeting and find some much needed caffeine. I wait for a break in the conversation until I feel it is the appropriate time to make my move and get up and head for the coffee. My mind is consumed with thoughts of coffee, as I head for the door. I'm feeling proud of myself as I saunter towards the "open" doors and out to the lobby for my fix. But lo and behold, my head and hand strikes something hard, and a loud smack echoes through the now quiet room. You see, the doors were not open as I originally thought. The doors to the conference room are glass doors, so in my haste to get my coffee I walked straight (and proudly I must add) into the glass doors.

The entire conference room gets silent and then the sounds of the participants saying "ooohhh" and "are you ok". I pause...confused as to what just happened (remember...at this point I haven't made it to the coffee yet, so my brain is still on auto pilot). I suddenly realize that I just walked into a solid glass door. I stop. I consider my options. Can I get out of this? Do you think anyone REALLY noticed? Do I laugh? Do I throw my hand to my head (which really hurts at this point and has a nice big red mark on it) and show that I'm in pain. Well, the only thing I could think to do was to be honest. I said, "well, you can tell I haven't had my coffee this morning". Someone then opened the glass doors for me, and I promptly exited the conference room with what little dignity I could muster.

Thankfully, everyone was pretty good about it. Except for me being the butt of all of the jokes for the rest of the day I think I got off pretty easy. I can tell you that I used the back door to the conference room for the most part as this door is a normal solid wood door. When I did have to pass through the evil glass doors, I paused, made sure they were open and then braced for the impact just in case. :) Moral of the story: Always drink coffee before coming to work on days where you have had no sleep and your son is potty training. :P

6 comments:

Hart's Haven said...

That is hilarious!!!!!! I hope your head is better than your pride. Hang in there it only gets better until the next child...........

Mel said...

My head is better. I did have a headache for a bit, but I was more embarrased than anything. I know I'm not going to live this down for awhile. Oh, well. It make a great story :P

Wendy said...

That IS hilarious. I don't think you should be that embarrassed. Just laugh with them. : ) I am glad you were not too hurt. : )

Pam said...

So funny. Your stories are fantastic. Hope you're OK. :) heeeheee

Mel said...

I'm glad you guys got a good laugh out of it. I STILL haven't lived it down at work yet. I guess I will just bide my time until someone else does something embarassing...hopefully, it's not me again :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry dear,

At this point I must tell you that lack of coffee isn't the culprit. You have inherited the dreaded Zuercher gene (that is the latin name)otherwise known as the clumsy gene! My profound apologies!