Friday, September 22, 2006

New Glasses- A tribute to the past















I've always loved going to the optometrist. I think it's because every time I leave there I can actually SEE!! I remember the first time I left Dr. King's office after getting glasses. I was shocked that trees had such detailed leaves. I could actually SEE the leaves on the trees. It was impressive.

As much as I love going to the optometrist, my least favorite part of the visit is picking out the new glasses. I mean, at this point in my adventure, the doctor has already asked me a million questions as to which lens appears better and whether I see one line or two lines, they have stuck my head into this contraption and asked me to push a button every time I saw a light, and they have spit air into my eye (I STILL don't know the reason behind that torture test). Then to top it off they lead you (as those like me who are poor of sight have to be led because they have either confiscated our glasses or contacts to clean them). They then expect you to pick out glasses that you can't actually see because they have your contacts or other glasses.

Anyway, the last time I got glasses (4 years ago), I found the perfect pair of glasses. They were cute, stylish and made me look a bit like a 1950's librarian (which I am ok with). Well, this last visit to the optometrist was less than thrilling. They told me that I am wearing my contacts too much and I need to start wearing my glasses. I guess my eyes are not getting enough oxygen so my body has decided to help out by making pretty, red blood vessels (nice). Dr. King said this would continue to happen (and he used some scary medical term that I forgot 2 seconds after he said it) until my eyes got a break.

Fine, I thought. I will get new glasses. I tell them I want the same frames as last time, at which time I am told they have been discontinued. *sigh*/ Of course, it's hard enough to find a pair of glasses you like and then when you do they discontinue making them. Swell. Anyway, I just got my new glasses today. They are the ones on the right. The jury is still out on if people like them. Josh at work (my lead) likes my old ones better, as do a few others, however some people at work said I look more academic. Whatever. I guess I'll leave that up to you. Which do you prefer?

4 comments:

Hart's Haven said...

They look great.......
The last time I got new ones you came along to help me pick. It's hard because when your glasses are off with the new ones on you can't see!

Wendy said...

I absolutely 100% LOVE the new glasses. They look really great on you. I like your last pair of glasses a lot, but I like these better. Good choice.

Pam said...

I really can't say. At first I was leaning toward the old, but I think it's just cuz I'm used to seeing those on you so it seems more natural.

But the more I looked, the more I liked the new ones also.

You look beautiful no matter what!

Mel said...

I'm glad you guys like them. When Susan saw them, and I told her that these were my new glasses, she just looked at me and said, "interesting". What does that mean? :P