Tuesday, December 19, 2006

One of THOSE days



Have you ever had one of THOSE days? You know the kind...the kind where you should just get back and bed and pull the covers over your head and hide from the world until today is tomorrow. Well, I know those days a little too well, and today was no exception.

The morning started out well…cold. I unwillingly woke up, after Caiden ransacked my bed and ordered me to "wake up time". I got up to head to the shower, but was overcome with an amazing set of cramps (and not THOSE kind of cramps either). Hmm, maybe I'm coming down with the stomach flu or something...my stomach continued to ache throughout the morning. So much so that I was doubled over at times..."it's ok...today is going to be a good day...I'll man up", I think to myself.

I get Caiden and myself ready in record time, and head out the door to a frosty car - yeah, that's right there was ICE on my car...ice in sunny SoCal. I rush to put Caiden in the car and start it (so it can warm up), but the car hesitates. It's just so chilly. No worries. It's just a little hitch, today is still going to be a great day.





I finally get the car started and drive down to the gas station to get gas, and I figured I would get a cup of coffee while I'm there (I have had a perpetual headache for the past couple of days that I can't seem to shake. It is constant and pretty painful). I choose decaf as I am trying to cut down on my caffeine intake, and proceed to add creamer. I grab a banana and some napkins, turn to walk out and realize that my cup is leaking. *No problem...this is a tiny setback* I grab another cup and off I go. I pay the cashier and put my credit card back in my pocket. I think to myself, "Put your credit card back in your wallet before you lose it", however by the time I took the short walk from the cashier to the car I had already forgotten these pearls of wisdom. I put the gas cap back on and shut the little door...crap...it's won't close. After 4-5 nice attempts, I go ninja on the thing and it finally cooperates.

I drive happily to work (or should I say I drove to work), and drop off Caiden pretty uneventfully. I arrive at work ready to start my day, already calculating the endless to-do list in my head. I turn to grab my computer. Crap! My computer...it's...at home. *sigh* I even packed up my computer and put it in a place that I was SURE not to forget it, yet I did. I contemplate driving back home and then back to work, but what a waste. Just then my phone pops out a reminder...your director's surprise party in 1 hour!. Great! I completely forgot...oh, and I'm wearing jeans because I conned my team into helping me with the Spark of Love toy drive by allowing them to dress casually for a month.

I quickly drive to Target to get some "appropriate" work pants, and rush to the cashier to pay. I open my wallet, and NO CREDIT CARD. I search my pockets...nope. I retrace my steps and cannot find it ANYWHERE. I tear apart my car, call the gas station, and then call Caiden's childcare. They tell me that a child found a credit card, but it may be a “play” one (apparently people give their old credit cards for the kids to play with...who does that? I'll tell you who does that...someone who wants their identity stolen that's who). I look at my watch. I have 30-40 minutes until the party. I rush to the child care place and proceed to look around...nothing. I find out that a teacher found it, put it on a table because he too thought it was a "play" card, and some kid walked off with it. (Maria...that's the kid that took it - the other kids ratted her out). We search everywhere. I am now on the nerves of everyone as I frantically look for the card.
I start getting reminders to go to the party. *Sigh Sigh* I warn the teachers that I'll be back, and hop in the car to rush to the party...did I say it was a surprise. I nearly run a red light and slam on my breaks (tires smoking and heads turning) as I am trying to get directions to Scott's Restaurant from my lead, because of course I don't know where I am or where I'm supposed to be. I make it to the restaurant which pretty much wants people to valet, as the hide the self park in an area called the garage that apparently one must have top secret clearance to locate. I make it...just on time. Problem is this is a SURPRISE party, so on time is late.

I arrive (the last one there) to my director, two Vice President's, one admin, and 3 managers. Lunch was delicious, and I tried my best to put my "game face" on. At lunch, the director announces he is coming back to my office (great, because I have no computer, so I will not be very productive) and he wants to meet with the team quickly. I then scurry to call my lead and my coworker to notify all of our employees to meet in the vocational room in 15 minutes (some people were called off of lunch). We meet, it's great. I leave work to continue the search for the credit card, all the while praying that SOMETHING would go right today.

I arrive at Caiden's school...they see me coming and shake their heads. I start to tear the place apart while 2 little girls follow me around incessantly asking questions. I then don gloves (at a teacher's suggestion) and start to dig through the trash. *seriously, is this really worth it? I'll just cancel the card...darn it*. I grab Caiden and off I go.

I call the credit card company, explain the situation and ask my options. They tell me they will declare the card "lost/stolen" and send me out a new one. I ask them to rush it (which costs me $15) because I still have Christmas presents to buy and about 4 days to do it in. Dave is working so I have to buy all the gifts this year (so if you don't like your gift...just smile and nod...I honestly can't take the rejection right now). I ask if I will have to contact the companies that I have automatic bill pay and they say no...it just transfers over. *sigh* Hallelujah! Something IS starting to go right. Perfect. No sooner had I hung up the phone that Caiden's childcare called. They "FOUND the card", they exclaimed!!! (Of course you did...I just cancelled it). I quickly hang up the phone, and call the credit card company back who tells me that they already processed the deactivation, and oh...by the way...I DO have to contact each company that I have automatic bill pay with. *Double sigh*.

I go to the grocery store to pick up food for Christmas dinner (you know the one that I am planning and cooking by myself - again if you don't like it...smile and choke it down) :P
I am now sitting at home at 8pm, after trying for the last 1.5 hours to get Caiden to go to sleep. He is not feeling well, and is hard to settle down. *thump thump...my head throbs* I'd dance, but I would probably break my neck or something. Hey, not a bad idea...at least I would get a break :P

Ok, so I'm off to do laundry, or clean the house, or wrap gifts (did I tell you that the gift wrap is buried in the garage...yeah...not wrapping gifts tonight). *sigh* 4 more hours and today will be over. *smile*

2 comments:

Pam said...

That absolutely, totally sucks. :( Poor Melissa, I feel really bad for you. Hope tomorrow is better.

Wendy said...

Wow. Not a day I would care to duplicate... or even have once honestly. I agree with Pam. Poor Melissa.