Monday, January 08, 2007

Big Bear Fun & He's Biting Off a Little More Than I Can Chew?



This is the FIRST weekend that Dave has had off in awhile, so we made sure to pack it full of fun and exciting things. Of course, I am not paying for it as I am tired, and have come down with a cold or flu or something very not fun.

First, I went to my first pole dancing class in 2 weeks, and it was my first day in a level 4 class. Let me tell you...2 weeks makes a difference. The next day, my body was SO sore. I have to say that I really did miss it. (there will be no pictures of this adventure, although I did learn a new trick!)

After that Dave and I loaded Caiden up and we took off to Big Bear to spend some time with Sue and Jim. We had a lot of fun. We went stuffed ourselves full at dinner, then came home where Jim and Caiden played "cars". Caiden then got a bath from Grammie, and the star treatment when Papa Jim blew dry his hair. Grammie then sat down with Caiden and watched a little TV, so Caiden could wind down before bedtime.





Caiden got up at the crack of dawn, where we heard Caiden tell Grammie and Papa to "come here...play cars". We smiled and laughed as we turned back around and tried to catch a few more winks of sleep :)




Jim and Sue made us a wonderful breakfast (apple puff pancakes and sausage) before we headed out to do some sledding in the snow.



We all had a lot of fun!







It ended in a snowball fight, where I became the victim of a vicious snowball attack by Dave.






Cold and a bit tired (as I was starting to feel a bit sick), we headed inside for some nice hot cocoa.



Later we ate lunch at the local pizza parlor before Dave, Caiden and myself headed back down the mountain.


The following is the vicious snowball attack...



Oh, but the fun weekend didn't stop there! We then headed to REI where Dave and I priced out backpacking gear for "our upcoming trip". Dave has gotten it into his head that we are going to go backpacking on a 3-4 day 30 mile adventure. Even the REI people thought that was a bit extreme for a "first" backpacking hike. Dave explained to the gentleman that he works for the fire department and is in good shape as he carries hose packs up mountains to fight fires. This is where I chimed in that I DID NOT work for the fire department, and I DID NOT hike up mountains with hose packs.

This minor detail did not detour David. His response: "Many people must come into REI where the guy is gung-ho, and the female is in the background just nodding and smiling. You are NOT one of these prissy girls. You can handle more than you give yourself credit for". My response: "Maybe, but do I WANT to?" I want to go, don't get me wrong. I just don't want to push myself so hard that I don't want to backpack again.

Anyway, now David says I need to be in training mode. So of course we loaded Caiden on our bikes and went on a short 3 mile bike ride. Dave has told me that when I am feeling better, and he has more time off we will go on a 20 mile bike ride around some lake...yeah...uh...sure we will. I think he may be biting off a little more that I Can chew. :P

4 comments:

Pam said...

Ha! That was a good story. I really liked the movie with sound added. Did you do that on a PC? If so, what program did you use?

As far as the backpacking. It might be fun, but what about a 1-2 day trip to start?

Mel said...

Yes I did it on my PC. I did it with Windows Moviemaker. It comes with the Microsoft operating program I think.

As for the backpacking, I am all for that, but I don't want to kill myself. The 1-2 day hikes are what the REI staff was recommending, but you know your brother...that's not what he's looking for.

Wendy said...

What a great weekend!

About the backpacking, I have always wanted to do something like that. Hope it is more fun than work. : )

Hart's Haven said...

That was awesome Melissa......We loved the video!
And come up anytime we'll do it again,
Beware David!!!!!!!