Sunday, February 04, 2007

Why I've been gone...

Ok, so I know that it has been quite a while since I have written. I know that, but to be honest there has been SO much going on. Despite the stress of work and home life, I recently found out some good news (which was quickly dampened by some bad news). I found out that I am pregnant (this is the good news in case you were wondering).

Well, just as quickly as I found out that I was pregnant, I landed in the ER for severe bleeding and cramping. After hours of tests, they came back and told me that they still showed me as pregnant, but the ultrasound showed no fetal heartbeat. They then had me wait 48 hours so they could send me to a lab to get additional testing done so that they could monitor my HCG levels (hormone levels that continue to increase when you are pregnant and that pregnancy is viable).

So, the ER sent me home to rest and wait. 48 hours later I was driven to the lab where they tried to unsuccessfully to find my veins. They have a policy that one person is allowed 2 attempts and then they must switch people. They only had 3 people that could do the blood draws working that day, and I went through all three. Each time I begged them to let Dave do it (as the ER did), as he tends to get me on the first time. I truly looked like a drug addict, as they tried multiple times in my arms (both), my hands (tops and sides). Now I had holes and bruises to add to the cramping and bleeding, not to mention the emotional stress of the whole situation. And people wonder why I don't like needles and why I had a natural, unmedicated childbirth with Caiden. You have my veins and then tell me that you want people poking you.

After the lab we wait all day for the results, but didn't receive them until the next morning. Caiden and I were on our way to work and school, when I got a call from my doctor telling me that they needed to see me immediately. They were confused as the ultrasound showed no heartbeat yet my HCG levels were increasing. I went in (Dave met me there), they did an ultrasound and they found a heartbeat!!! My doctor told me not to be too excited as the amount of bleeding I have had was not normal, and that I was not out of the woods and could miscarry. I stayed home from work on Monday and Tuesday due to all of the testing. The bleeding stopped! I was so excited.

I was ready to go back to work and worked Wednesday and Thursday until I started bleeding VERY heavily again. I called the doctor and she told me that I was having a miscarriage, and scheduled me for an appointment the next day. Dave and I went into the doctor's on Friday and they did another ultrasound and they still found a heartbeat. The doctor told me that she was more concerned about me hemorrhaging and needing a blood transfusion than losing the baby. I have to say my priorities were a little different. She told me to be on bed rest and that she would take me out of work (I told her I would work from home instead).

So, this weekend has been me doing my best to lay down and not really move much. I got up on Saturday to go out to dinner with Dave, Caiden and Josh and then we went and bought a game. Apparently, my body thought that was too much because I paid for that for that night and today. She did say that she was surprised that “this baby is really hanging on”…looks like we have a real fighter here.  She stated that this problem that I am having is no indication of the baby’s condition – meaning that there is not necessarily something wrong with the baby. I can only continue to pray that everything goes ok, and according to God’s plan. Of course, I am hoping that God’s plan is for me to have a healthy, happy pregnancy because this has been one big emotional rollercoaster. One that I’m ready to get off…

I have to say I am not very good at this whole laying down and staying put thing. It is not the way I was raised. I am used to “Manning up”. You know, you work through the pain as best you can and you forget about it. You just barrel on through. This is so hard for me, and I know that Dave is probably pretty annoyed. I feel like he thinks that I am being lazy or overreacting. Well, I will do my best to keep updating you on how things go, but I am also trying to take it easy. I have posted two pictures below (if this pregnancy turns out to be viable). At this point, I am 6 weeks pregnant. These pictures would be my pre-baby #2. I took them myself which is why they are a bit tweaked. (Hey, when your husband works a lot you have to make do).  Prayers are always appreciated. Until next time…

2 comments:

Hart's Haven said...

You do have all our prayers for a healthy baby, I know this has been a tough time. Hang in there!

Wendy said...

I already have you in my prayers, but I will keep praying. This must be very hard emotionally for you with the baby but also with getting life stuff done. You are even more of a go-getter than I am and I hate having to rest when stuff needs to get done. All I can recommend is to have a good attitude about it and really rest because what is best for you/the baby is what is number 1 and you can't help it if your body needs bed rest.
I can't do to much to help from up here, but call if you just need someone to talk to. Or call anyway, I always like hearing from you. : )