Friday, April 20, 2007

Passive Aggressive Drivers or Champions of Safety?

So I went to lunch with some people from work, and this guy and I got into a "discussion" about people who drive in the fast lane and don't move out of the way when an obviously faster driver comes upon them. He asked me not to slant this, but wanted to know YOUR point of view so I will do my best.

The Scenario:
Scott is in the red car driving 80 mph in the fast lane of the freeway (no this is not a math question, honestly if you thought that do you even KNOW me at all). The speed limit is 65 mph. Scott is clearly speeding.

Melissa is in the green car driving 95 mph in the fast lane of the freeway. The speed limit is 65 mph. Melissa drives up onto Scott's car...

Should Scott:
A) Brake really hard and flip Melissa off?
B) Move out of the fast lane to allow Melissa to drive past
C) Hold onto the steering wheel, eyes peeled to the road and hold steadfast at 80 mph?

Since I was instructed not to bias you, I will refrain from any other comments. If you want to know MY opinion, just look at my earlier posting about the driver in front of me on Ortega (picture included in that posting). :)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

For sure B, Scott needs to get his slow, annoying but out of the way!!! I HATE when people don't move!

Anonymous said...

I mean butt!

Mel said...

Thank you Heather! A very intelligent girl who KNOWS what she is talking about!

Anonymous said...

Both people are in the wrong.

Scott should see Melissa coming and move out of the way before she gets on top of him. Just as Scott likes to drive 80 and doesn't appreciate someone driving 65 in front of him, he should realize other people want to go faster than 80.

Melissa should try less extreme measures to "politely" let Scott know he needs to move. Tailgating should be a last resort, after flashing brights and even honking, because it is the most dangerous option!

Mel said...

Josh CLEARLY, you are a passive agressive driver like Scott, and you are trying to justify your actions. Either that, or you are running for office.

butterflydreams said...

B) move out of the fast lane
said driver of green car however should be aware there are a lot of cops trying to win the prize of writing the most tickets

Hart's Haven said...

Get out of the way. It might turn to road rage the way people today drive. Oh and by the way, after you move to let him pall slow down to the speed limit and be a good example to others.

Pam said...

B) I HATE, HATE, HATE anyone who drives slowly in the fast lanes. I include not just the lane furthest to the left, but anyone driving more slowly than traffic on the right. If people are passing you on the right, you need to move your slow ass over!

Anonymous said...

I ain't movin over darn it ! :) I'm already flying past people in the fast late at 80 mph. I'm already speeding myself. Why should I change my lane when someone wants to go mach 5. If it's that important to go 100 then they can pass. If I was going slow, yeah...no doubt..I would move, not when I'm bookin. I will move for you Melissa. Three flashes and I'll know :)

Wendy said...

Hmmm... such controversy. I think that I usually would move over and then hope that they got a ticket if they were driving recklessly.

Sarah said...

i have to weigh in only because i seem to be in the minority - I'd say 8 times out of 10 I'd move over. But those other two times I'd be agreeing with Scott - I'm not going slow - I'm going quite fast (although you didn't include the speed of traffic in this 'hypothetical' situation - just the speed limit. two very different things in so. cal if i remember correctly) and dang it if you want to drive so much faster than the rest of the world, dang it go around me.

Anonymous said...

Scott should get out of the way!!! Just because he feels 80 is fast enough DOES NOT mean everyone else on the road thinks the same. This is perfect example of a PAD. lol!

Anonymous said...

HA! I deal with these people every single day. How dare they thrust their views on me. GET THE !@#$ OUR OF MY WAY!