Saturday, September 01, 2007

Cabo San Lucas




What can I say about Cabo San Lucas. It was by far my favorite place...not just because the weather wasn't so humid or hot, but because the water was actually BLUE! There were a lot of very pretty sights to see...the problem is getting close enough to the sights to see them. This required the use of a water taxi.

The tender we were on
Dave and I on the tender

Since Dave, Wendy, Pam and Jake went snorkling, Jeff and I thought we would take the kids to play at the beach. Sounds like an easy request eh? I thought it would take a few hours and then we would be back on the ship hanging out and waiting for the rest of the crew to get back on board.

Dave on the catamaran
Jake and Pam - Jake never behaves in a picture :)
The twins
isn't that pretty?

BOY WAS I WRONG. First we had to tender across to the shore. They dump you at a market place and force you to pay a water taxi to go to the beach. You can't go straight to the beach though, you have to take a 45 minute tour first -which to be honest I didn't mind because we got to see sea lions, and actual fish (glass bottom boat) and lover's beach, and amazing views. Not to mention various caves and caverns.

The birds
seals or sea lions - I can't remember which
some kind of cavern
Lover's Beach

I would LOVE to go exploring in here. I wonder what I would find?

Jeff and I finally decide to break down and take a water taxi. All was good until the drop off point. They basically wanted us to swim to shore. Did I tell you that we had Caiden and Micah and a stroller? We told them in no uncertain terms that we would not be swimming to shore with the kids. The boat taxi starts to leave. I assure him that we DO want to go to the beach (like we paid him), but we don't want to swim to shore. He seemed less than thrilled and we eventually worked out a system so that Jeff would jump out first, I would hand kids to him and then jump out myself.


Our unhelpful, grumpy water taxi man
Jeff and the boys
Caiden on the water taxi
Caiden and I on the water taxi
Glass Bottom Boat

All was well now... we are at the beach where merchants come and sell you their merchandise. I think I must have said "No thank you" non-stop. Finally I broke down and bought a necklace and Caiden a turtle whistle. We played on the beach and in the sand. It was so beautiful but still very hot.
Caiden and I - notice the rough waters behind us
Micah takes off at a run!
Thoughtful moments

Caiden gets some energy
He LOVES the water

I spelled Mama and Caiden in the sand
There were MANY people selling things

The adventure REALLY came when it was time to go back to the ship. Our boat taxi came back like he promised (which to be honest, really surprised me). He didn't stop all that close to shore, but Jeff and I were prepared with a system. I would climb on the boat first, take Caiden, Micah and then the stroller. Jeff would get in on his own. The problem with our plan was that the ocean was quite choppy. I got in (course I am all wet), I get Caiden (who is JUST as slippery) tell him to hold on and turn to get Micah. *I cannot impress upon you the speed at which we had to do this or the next wave would come in and you would be swimming to get to the boat* That's when I hear a loud smack and some screaming and crying. I turn to look, and Caiden is face down crying. Not once does the boat taxi man try to move and help. In fact, he looks more annoyed than anything. I try to run to Caiden, while holding Micah and making sure Jeff gets in. Once Jeff gets in I hand Micah over and run for Caiden. He was SO scared and he did not stop crying until we got to shore, got to the tender to take us back to the ship and then landed on the ship - which was a long journey. I refused to let him go to sleep until someone looked at him for fear of a concussion - he already had a large bruise forming on one side of his face. Poor little man...he just whimpered the whole time.
Caiden's bruise

An interesting note is that we saw A LOT of armed guards around. We had to go through security to get back across to where the tender was to board the ship.
Big Guns
Men you DON'T mess with


Other than that, Cabo was beautiful. I just wouldn't go out on another boat taxi with kids...it was WAY too scary.

4 comments:

Hart's Haven said...

You did a great job on the pictures !!!!!!!!
We had a wonderful time.

Anonymous said...

I went to Cabo once and will be fine never going back!!

You did do I great job on the pictures.

Wendy said...

What great pictures. I loved the blue water there. I must admit that even though your story was frustrating you had me laughing.

Pam said...

Poor Caiden. That taxi man was horrible.