Saturday, September 01, 2007

Puerto Vallarta



Our First Stop was to Puerto Vallarta. It was VERY hot and humid. We would take small trips off of the ship before we headed out for our excursion. Right where we docked there was a market place, so we decided to go out for a brief visit. Caiden got an opportunity to pet a baby donkey in a t-shirt. Of course I had to pay the lady to take a picture with my own camera, but he liked it. Grammie Sue talked to the birds, but they were a little too loud for Caiden.

The market place at Puerto Vallarta
Caiden found a friend...the friend looks none too thrilled
Sue talks to the birds
Caiden and I waiting for our excursion
Micah, Jeff, Papa Jim and Caiden - Notice the how Micah, Jim and Caiden all have the same hat?
Caiden and Micah entertain themselves while we wait
Papa and Caiden waiting in line for the bus

Then we were off for our excursions. Dave, Jake and Pam headed out for the Extreme Canopy tour. They were only allowed to take their camera so far and then they had to lock it away in a locker. Unfortunately, I don't have any cool pictures of them zip lining through waterfalls or anything. They all said they had a great time.
Jake getting strapped in for the zip line
Protection for that brilliant mind
Dave anxious to go!
Pam and Jake - Daredevil couple :)

The rest of the gang (Sue, Jim, Wendy, Jeff, Micah, Caiden and myself) went for a bus tour that drops us off at a tropical location where we could hike and swim. The bus ride over was a bit fun because it rained on Caiden and myself. Apparently it has rained the night before and had caught in the bus...it would pour water on the passengers on the right side of the bus - which is just where Caiden and I chose to sit.

Prior to arriving at our final destination we stopped off at a site where they had a nice view and had a little market. There was a guy there painting these ceramic plates that in retrospect I wish I bought. Well, at least I have a picture, right? I guess it's a good thing I didn't buy it though because this bus did not wait for anything. We nearly lost Jeff...we had to yell at the bus driver and ask everyone to yell for Jeff as he was taking off without him. Thankfully, Jeff got on, but he wasn't quick enough - the merchant that he was talking to came running after him still trying to get him to buy her wares.
They're smiling because they are on the DRY side of the bus
So are they.
Caiden CLEARLY was not, and was bit grumpy - of course, I know how to fake it :)
Jim and Sue
This is what I wish I would have bought...I thought they were really good

After a short bus ride, we arrived where we would be hiking and swimming. They had a little restaurant there which was very primitive. They offered food and drink, but I was afraid to eat or drink anything that they provided - not to mention that the food was mostly shellfish. Thankfully, I had bought a large bottle of water right before we exited the ship.

I thought it was very pretty though
Caiden and Sue pose before going down the trail

This was the restaurant
And the food that they offered. They didn't have menus so this was how they showed you what they had.

We lathered ourselves in this bug spray and off we traipsed into the jungle. It was SO hot and humid that there were even rain storms. We were all soaked from either the rain or the sweat from all of the humidity.
Caiden takes the early lead
The Gang!
It was very pretty
Caiden was having fun
But he always remembered to rehydrate

The march across the river or stream or whatever was a welcome relief, as was the rainstorm. I SO felt like I was a heroine in a movie...you know crossing the river, and looking for civilization after your plane crashed or something like that. :)


Jim striking a pose
Wendy helping Caiden across
Sue halfway across with Wendy and Caiden
G.I. Jane, or National Geographic Camera Carrier Girl?
Caiden proud he made it across!
Wendy ready to document what happens next!

Our trip wasn't without it's educational pieces. They showed us how to open small coconuts and showed us unique plants that when touched they would fold up and nearly disappear. Caiden REALLY liked that.
Coconut Tree
The guy crushing a coconut
And there it is open
Caiden examining the coconut

Sneaky Guide trying to feed Micah a coconut
Caiden with the plants that fold up when you touch them - they are the ones that look like ferns...hard to see...Caiden has touched them all
Enough education - it's back to the hike

We didn't try this, but here are some local kids swinging into the water.
Sue and Jim waving goodbye to Puerto Vallarta

I have to say Caiden was SUCH a trooper. He REALLY enjoyed hiking, and there were some pretty steep parts where I had to hold his hand to make sure he doesn't fall down the jungle side. Although I wasn't expecting the hike and swim excursion - it touted itself as a bus tour that shows you where some movies such as Predator were filmed *we never saw that*...it was a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

It was beautiful. I loved our hike through the jungle.

Pam said...

The zip lines were awesome. I really liked our time in the jungle.