Monday, January 07, 2008

Kiya Update - Her Debut May Be Soon :)

Today was my first official day off of work, but frankly it didn't feel very relaxing. I woke up early and hiked it down to the doctor's office. I thought I would only be there for a short time, but was a bit nervous going there. I wanted to make sure that Kiya was in the right position because I don't want to have any interventions, especially a C-section.

Dave got off of work late, so he was unable to go, so Caiden was with me. You know how you have to do the urine sample each visit? Well, I tried to entertain Caiden with a book, so that I could take care of business so to speak. I was washing my hands and feeling quite proud that I dupped my son, when he looked up at me and asked me..."Mama, why did you just pee in a cup". I started laughing, but struggled a bit with my answer. Remember, I told Caiden we only go to the bathroom in the toliet...remember the shell incident? I finally told him that they need to check my levels to make sure his sister is ok and that is how they do the tests.

Then I needed to get the ultrasound. The above pic was the best picture that they had. It is a bit hard to see, but they tell me this is her face. All I see is a giant eye socket! :) She's bigger than Caiden was at this point. Caiden was about 5 lbs at this point, but Kiya is already 7 1/2. (aahhh!!!) She is in the right position (yay!), but seems to be doing a bit of kickboxing with the right side of my body. (Hey, at least she is active).

I have gained 27 lbs at this point (which is about what I gained with Caiden). The only part that made me nervous is when I was being weighed, the ultrasound tech came out and whispered something to the nurse about me...the nurse then told my doctor, but no one told me. My doctor than told me that my amniotic fluid levels were borderline low. 8-10 is the normal range, and I am just slightly under 8. She told me they need to monitor me on a heart monitor, and I will need to come back on Thursday for monitoring of the fluids again. She told me that if they decrease then I will need to be induced as it means that Kiya is not getting 100% of the nutrients that she needs. She told me to stay OFF my feet, and to drink plenty of fluids.

The fluids I can do - the staying off my feet is hard. Dave is at work a lot and I have Caiden not to mention I had planned to do a lot while I had the time. I REALLy don't want to be induced because of the following:
1. I don't want any interventions, especially needles
2. Pitocin makes contractions more intense and also increases your chances of additional interventions.
3. Did I say, NO NEEDLES!!!
4. I am hoping and praying that if my fluid levels are going to decrease that Kiya will decide to make her appearance on her own and soon!

The other funny part was when I had to do the Strep B exam. They do the whole swab thing. Well, I had Caiden, so I tried to get him to stay on my side and stay head up. I held his hand telling him it made mommy feel better, but he was very curious. He kept trying to peek at what the doctor was doing and was very upset that I wouldn't let him.

Dave is off on Thursday, so hopefully he will come with me. He said it depends on how tired he is. If he comes it will be easier than having to find creative ways to entertain Caiden. It was hard to entertain him while they had me hooked up to a fetal monitor. I had to sit there still for a minimum of 20 minutes. The good news: Kiya's heart rate and activity are good!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What everyone doesn't pee in a cup??!! :) Hehehe.

Oh yes I can totally she a baby face...umm...:)

Tell Kiya she can come now.

Pam said...

Enjoy your time off. I'm already counting down the days till I get to stay at home!

Hart's Haven said...

Everything will be fine, Kiya is doing so well! If she comes early that's OK cause she is definitely big enough. If you need me to come down don't hesitate to call I can come anytime to help.

Wendy said...

I am glad that everything looks good.