Thursday, January 10, 2008

No Induction Today!!

As many of you know who know me or frequent my blog, I am NOT into the whole inducing a pregnancy...at least for me. I think for each woman it is a personal choice. My choice is to have a child as God intended me to...naturally and without intervention. That is as long as the baby is healthy and these options are available to me.

Today I went to the doctor's again. They did a non-stress test, which basically means they hook me up to a fetal heart monitor and monitor Kiya's heart rate. We passed that test with flying colors!! The next was an ultrasound where they measure the amniotic fluid. Apparently, my attempts at drowning myself in water and putting my feet up as much as I can didn't work the way I wanted (increase in amniotic fluids), but at least it kept my fluid levels the same, so an induction wasn't necessary.

The Dr. said she would induce me if I would like because I am full term now and the levels are still borderline, but again, I'm not into the whole induction thing. After all, I am 2 cm dilated already, although I know I can walk around like that for a while. For those people unaware, you have to be 10 cm dilated to have a baby, so I'm part way there.

I was pleased as punch, but Dave was less than. He would have preferred the induction. His thoughts:
1. The car was packed with our stuff just in case
2. We were already there
3. We could call the parents and make sure that everyone was available and could come
4. It's convenient to know the scheduling of things (it works out for his work)

Although my thought process is:
1. Pitocin heightens the pain of the contractions, but does not necessarily speed up the delivery. In fact, it could actually SLOW it down and make the birthing process longer. Longer more intense contractions is not my idea of a good time.
2. Pitocin increases your chances of further interventions
3. I would tied to a bed (not literally) and would not be able to labor walking around and moving like I did with Caiden. I felt that moving really helped me to take my mind off of the pain of labor.
4. It's a little scary and unnatural.
5. NEEDLES!!!! I don't like them, I don't want them near my body AT ALL!!!!! They don't like me (my veins collapse, they move away, the nursing staff always asks me not to come back), and I don't like them.

Well, I have another appointment on Monday, so hopefully I will have Kiya NATURALLY before then, or I will have to do the stay off my feet, drown myself in water thing again. We'll just have to wait and see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though I am super excited to meet Kiya no need to induce unless it is necessary. I guess I will just have to wait for her to arrive on her own!

Tell Dave when is the one delivering the baby he can set the schedule. :)

Pam said...

Wow, should be any time now! Exciting.

Wendy said...

You are the one having the baby so you should decide. I don't think you should have to justify your actions as long as Kiya is healthy.