Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Visit to Dave's New Fire House



Dave recently underwent a bid change which means that for the next two years he will have a new crew (that he got in the bid) and new station. This crew and station will stick for the next two years.

Since I have been off, and seriously tired as Caiden has LOADS of energy and is awake during the day, and Kiya is awake during the night, Dave thought it might be a good idea for us to come down to see his new fire station. This way, he could help me burn off some of the endless amounts of energy that Caiden seems to have, and I can get a bit of a break.

Of course when I told Caiden of course he was thrilled as he loves going to see daddy at the fire station, and he promptly got into his fire gear. I loaded everyone up in the car and off we went.

Caiden and Dave in the USAR Rig
Firefighter Caiden on the headset :)
Caiden waving hello to me. He had so much fun

Dave's new fire station is nice, and his crew is even nicer. They were very gracious and let us spend a few hours there. Dave showed us some of the new toys they got. It was pretty cool. They got something that senses where people are if they are under rubble, and then they have a heat sensor camera (of course they are not the real names for it. They are the names that I am giving them). Cade had a great time playing on the rigs and checking out the new station, equipment and chatting with the crew. BOY DID HE CHAT! They were great conversationalists and were wonderful with Caiden - even when he followed the captain around asking questions :P He is a talker after all.

Caiden chatting up a storm with the Captain.
This is another captain - he was showing Caiden the thermal imaging equipment
Caiden testing it out - the captain had placed his hand on the lockers and Caiden was looking at the heat left over from the hand print.

Dave's new station is a USAR station (Urban Search And Rescue), which is actually really cool. Dave is enrolled in the necessary classes he needs to take to become certified in this. Hopefully, I can get him to either take a camera, or let me tag along so I can get some pictures of him in action :) I find this all very fascinating. I would LOVE to do this kind of stuff. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what a talker Caiden can be (I wonder where he gets that from...) so that Captain must be a patient man!! (not that I am one to talk, one time when I was 16 I made my Dad drive all the way to Oregon with NO RADIO...because I just talked the whole time!!)

Sounds like Davids new station is cool!! Search and rescue...HOW EXCITING!!

Mel said...

He was both patient and from what I hear, quite the talker himself. They were two peas in a pod. They were all very kind, and I can't wait to go back again :)

Wendy said...

I am so glad that David is with a nice crew again. Work is so much better when you like the people you work with.

Pam said...

That is very cool. Looks like fun.