Monday, March 31, 2008

The Making of The Will

That's right. A Will. I am making a will. I have been putting it off for quite a long time, well at least 4 years to be exact. Right after Caiden was born I bought a Willmaker program, but have not touched it until today.

Why? I know that I need to write one, and I know that it is important now that I am a married mother with two kids, but in all honesty it's a bit scary. I mean, I know someone who wrote a will and within in a week we were using the will because he passed away. It just makes me nervous.

Well today I faced my fear and started writing the will. I plan to have it finished tomorrow (so hopefully nothing will happen to me between now and then ). There are SO many things to consider. In addition to a will, Dave will have to make a will, and then we will be making a living trust as well to spare our families from having to endure probate.

Things I have learned:

  • Both husband AND wife have to make a will. You cannot make one for both people
  • The will is the easy part, and relatively inexpensive. The TRUST is a different story
  • There are different types of trusts
    • ones for people that have properties and belongings in the millions
    • ones for people who have less than millions
    • ones that only married people can create
  • A will is what you create when you want to name guardians for your children (if you have young children it is a must) as well as divvy up your possessions
  • A living trust is what you create when you want to alleviate your family of the burden of dealing with probate. It deals with property not children. A living trust requires a lawyer to create
  • A will can be done by an Joe....like me. :)
Now I am no expert by far, but I have learned a lot lately. Part of me wanted to stop immediately because there was so much to think about, and prepare. The other part of me says that I need to be responsible and make the will or else my wishes would not be carried out. In fact, if something were to happen to Dave and I and I didn't have a will set up with guardians for my children, the courts could appoint someone. Now that idea is scarier to me than writing the will.

3 comments:

Pam said...

Ya, I need to do that soon, especially with baby Hester on the way!

HeatherW said...

Good job!! You are such a responsible parent.

Even though it is a pain now it is better to get it taken care of now, that way it is out of the way.

GO MELISSA!!

Wendy said...

Jeff and I did that a while back. Not fun but a very good idea.