Saturday, April 05, 2008

Oldies But Goodies...

I was over at my sister's house for her twin's 1st birthday party (pictures and post to come) and was helping my Godmother pick out pictures for a memory box that I bought her for Christmas when I came across these pictures.

You see the reason I am so excited about these is because when my parents got divorced my dad TOOK all of our baby pictures. That's right. He cleaned us out of all of them and has been holding them hostage. My sister must be one hell of a negotiator because she was able to coax them away from my dad for a bit so that she could scan them in. (They were slides, hence some of them are a bit grainy). I haven't seen many of these pictures either at all or for a VERY LONG TIME.

For some this posting may be boring for you. For others, it could either explain a lot about me, or at least give you a good laugh. Besides the humor behind what a dweeb we think we look like when we are younger, it also says something about how everything comes around full circle. I mean, I even like the clothes and hairstyles...of course I could do without the gold, orange, brown and avocado green interior designs. I warn you there are a lot of pictures, but of course you knew that seeing as you are looking at MY blog. I'm obsessed with pictures. Here are some of the ones I especially liked:

I guess I should first introduce myself. This is me...

Getting down and dirty
In a snow outfit...probably at Katie's parent's cabin

And for those who wondered where Kiya got her chubby cheeks, I would like to enter exhibit A. Notice the orange glasses...maybe that's where Caiden's favorite color came from? Hmmm...

And a reminder to NEVER take life to seriously. I was either doing my daily yoga/pilates or possibly telling my mom what I thought of her taking my picture. You decide. :P

And of course my family. Here are some pictures of my mom and dad. How gorgeous are they? This was our dog Elsa. She was a sweetheart of a dog.
A professional photographer came into our house to take these pictures. How cute are they?

I especially like this one...and Elsa's head cocked to the side.

My dad at the Sheephold Mountains
And my gorgeous Mimi. This was actually in her kitchen. Yes, it REALLY is purple. Her house was written up in Better homes and Gardens for being so unusual. It was purple and Lime Green, but it actually came out GREAT!!
My mom with my sister. I think she looks SO GORGEOUS!!!

My mom with us.

All bundled up in Delaware

Later we got Shadow....he was the BEST dog. I loved him so much. And of course who could forget our cat Fluffy?
And yes, that IS the color of our carpet. He was the best dog. I miss him. :(
Fluffy was amazing too. I used to dress her up like a baby and push her around in a carriage. She would lay there and sleep with my black bear stuffed animal appropriately named "black bear".

Here are some pictures with friends

This is me as the "Tin Man" with a teacher (preschool)
Me with our neighbor
I threw this picture in there to show that I CAN get tan. See, I was tan. The little girl on the left is Katie (you can see her blog from mine...just follow the link)
Our innocent do we look? Looks can be decieving, eh? :) This is me, Katie, Lisa and Steph.
Notice how well behaved the other kids are? But me, no I have to put my leg up and do weird things. Let's just say I am blocking out the sun, so I can see better :P

And let's not forget special holidays such as Christmas. I mean NOTHING says Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday Jesus like your own Rifle! Clearly we were brought up around guns and the outdoors as these pictures from an outing with my dad show. We were members of the Conversation and Care of Big Horn Sheep society. We took our jobs VERY seriously. This is where my dad and I did most of our "bonding". We mostly took trips just the two of us, but this one looks like my sister came along too.
Steph holding her Christmas Rifle
And showing how she can aim.
Steph and I hopefully on Halloween
Dad at the Sheephold Mtns again
Of course I always wanted to do everything he did. If you look closely you can see I am wearing an NRA hat. Yep...Daddy's little girl.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! We're apparently having a "guess whose baby pic this is" contest at work so maybe you'll see a couple of mine soon.

HeatherW said...

I love old family pictures!! Thank you so much for sharing...they are so fun!!

Although I must say...even though you are only a year or so older than me your picutres look so much older than mine!! Your pictures look like full on, straight out of the 70's pictures!!

Of course Shadow was the best dog...he was a golden!! (Where are Chance and Sassy?)

My favorite picture is the one of your sticking your butt up in the air...only a Melissa move!!

Thanks again for sharing!! :)

Mel said...

They ARE straight out of the 70's. The file my sister had them in was "70's pictures". My mom was just very "with the times". Note to self: Don't ever decorate your house with the times as it will ALWAYS date you. :P

HeatherW said...

But you were only alive for like 2-3 years in the 70's...even the older ones look very 70's. hehehe.

Mel said...

Nah. I was alive for longer than that! :)

Pam said...

I love old pictures. I'm so glad you were able to get some of your old pictures from your childhood. They'll be great to pass down for generations.

Wendy said...

Those were fun to look at. I don't know if I could see Kiya or Caiden in your baby picture.