Monday, May 19, 2008

A "Variable State of Wellness"

I believe that a lot of things can be overcome by the whole mind over matter philosophy. I guess that is why I took an unmedicated approach to both my life and the births of my children, so why should sickness be any different.

I have been struggling with a cold for the last few weeks. There, I said it...I was fighting it, and last week it fought back. It took my voice, zapped my energy, but I still trudged on forcing myself to believe that I was NOT sick. When people would tell me that I sounded or looked terrible, I would just state that "I am currently in a variable state of wellness".

My logic - if I give in and think I am sick, then I will be and frankly I don't have time to be sick. There has been so much to do. So all last week I kept on trucking through the responsibilities at my job as well as my personal life. It was a TOUGH week, of which I was voice-less for many of the days. As a side note, I never knew how winded someone can get when you are trying to force your voice out...it was SO frustrating. For those of you who know me, I have a lot to say - I am NOT a quiet person. Unfortunately, there was a lot going on that I had comments too, but no one could hear me. :(

Anyway, this weekend I decided that I am giving in...if not just a little. I am exhausted, and now Kiya is sick (fever, cough, runny nose...poor her). I can pretend all I want that I am not sick, but when it comes to my adorable little monkey of a daughter I can no longer keep up the charade. I broke down, got her some infant drops to keep her fever down and am nursing on demand...I mean, hey if breast milk can cure and eye infection, let's put some of this magic milk to work on my infant daughter's cough and cold. We stayed home today, partly to get rest, and partly because childcare won't take a child with a fever. Hopefully we all start feeling a little healthier soon. After all, I want to meet Baby Hester (see link to Pam's blog) if he EVER decides to make an appearance. :)

4 comments:

HeatherW said...

First of all let me say...HA! I win! I am the first to comment. Nobody to follow will be as cool as I!!

Second...so sorry you aren't feeling well. You did sound terrible all week but you didn't look terrible at all. I am all for taking medicine when it is called for, I hate being sick and anything that helps me getting better quicker is my friend.

Get better soon so you can come back to work...it is lonely with out you!! (and we missed our first schedule CF lunch yesterday.)

Pam said...

So far baby Hester is still scheduled to show himself tomorrow. :)

Anonymous said...

That's too funny. I do the same thing. "I'm not sick just lost my voice". LOL!!!

So if the magic milk comes from you would it heal you? jk lol!!!!

Wendy said...

I hope all of you feel better soon and I agree, when the kids are sick it is a totally different story. good job putting her first.