Monday, May 19, 2008

Melissa and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad DayS

Yes, just like the children's story, I have been a little down on my luck a few days last week. I mean, I know that I am a naturally unlucky person, but this was getting a little ridiculous.

It started last Thursday in which I came into work still struggling with my "variable state of wellness" and with absolutely NO VOICE to speak of (hehe...little joke there...get it...no voice..yeah, well I never confessed to be funny). I had my day planned out. I was going to sit in a training, meet with a few of my reps, and have an otherwise very productive day.

That was my first mistake. Instead some very interesting things happened at work, that frankly I cannot speak of as people from my company actually read or potentially may read this entry. Let's just say, it was quite the hectic event in which I had to rely on Michael Chapman to interpret much of the goings on to a number of different people of a law enforcement variety.

Right after I had finished dealing with the work issue, I started receiving frantic calls from Dave. I answer the phone and he tells me that someone broke into the Fire Department vehicle and stole all of their stuff. Including their keys, wallet, EVERYTHING. The thieves had dropped his phone and he found it or they wouldn't have been able to call anyone. I then had to start calling credit card companies, signed up for life lock (he carried his social security card with him...yeah...I know), and started the work to try and replace everything. This proved to be very interesting as I didn't have a voice. I needed to go pick up Dave (remember they were training in the Kern River), but they found a hide-a-key for the FD truck, so they were able to make it back to the station at least. We then had to get the house re-keyed, etc...

That was Thursday. Then we had Friday. I thought...well, that was yesterday, the past is the past. Friday will be a good day. Yeah, not so much. I still had the work issue thing that I was dealing with, but now I was further behind in my workload as it took me out most of the day, and forced me to leave work earlier on Friday (for security reasons). Anyway, I get home and try to relax a little with the kids and Dave. Caiden goes upstairs to get ready for bed as I feed Kiya.

To make a long story short, our upstairs bathroom gets flooded, and starts raining down water into our ceiling. How? Caiden went to the bathroom, the toilet clogged, he tried to plunge it himself, called for me but I was feeding Kiya. I asked Dave to go upstairs and check, he called to Caiden to brush his teeth. Caiden panicked and started flushing the toilet over and over again to fix the clog.

The water leaked down through the light that is hanging. The buckets were catching the water.

We all ran upstairs to mop up the floor, and I put Kiya in her crib, so I could help. She rolls...boy does that little girl roll, and she rolled herself and inserted her chubby little leg into the crib slates and lodged her leg there - repeatedly. This, while Dave is yelling for more towels. Sigh...I just wanted to watch a TV show and go to bed...I really didn't feel well. My variable state of wellness turned into outright illness. Anyway...the last few days were not so good, but to be honest it was my fault. Someone from work who knew the whole situation said, "Well, Mel, I hope your day gets better". This is where I made the critical error. I said "Well, it has to, right? It can't get any worse". Famous last words...sigh...can it get worse now?

5 comments:

Hart's Haven said...

That is the perfect example of the kind of days that really make us appreciate the good ones!!!!!

HeatherW said...

I agree, as cheesy as it sounds you can't realize how good things are if you don't have bad days. Hopefully this week will get better.

AND I was also I very good Interpreter for you as well. While it may not have been in relation to law enforcement I was there for you in regards to important items such as food and beverage!! :)

Pam said...

Wow, that really has been a couple of bad days.

Dang, how do these things happen to you guys?

Anonymous said...

I love the title of this entry. It's a spin off of a kids book right? I use to read that book to my son Josh.

Anyway...that was a couple of no good very bad days. It's behind you for the most part and everything is fixed right? AND...you got some great friends around you to help and take you out for your favorite lunch :)

Wendy said...

Wow, that is really, really, awful, awful, yuck, yuck. So sorry for your bad days.