Sunday, June 15, 2008

Day At The Dog Beach


On Saturday morning I woke up with the urge to DO something. Thankfully, just about that time Heather and Danny invited me, the kids and the dogs to go to the Dog Beach with them at Huntington Beach.

I immediately wanted to go, but then I thought about the logistics of hiking down there with two dogs and two kids, all by myself (Dave was working). Finally, I decided to go. The dogs LOVE going to the dog beach and it had been so long since we had gone. I loaded the kids (of the furry and non furry variety) into my car and off I went. The dogs were SO excited, and become even more so when I turned onto PCH and they KNEW that their dreams had come true...they were going to the dog beach!!!!

When I left my house it was 96 degrees. When I arrived at the dog beach it was 69 degrees and windy! Thank goodness I brought jackets! Although Heather, Danny, Aspen and Gracie had already been there for hours, they were kind enough to stay and hang out with me while Hunter, Flash and Caiden ran around and had fun. Truthfully, I would NEVER have been able to go without them. It was hard enough to carry and bring stuff for two kids, then throw in two dogs and gear....agh! Danny and Heather were lifesavers. Heather helped with Kiya, and Danny kept a great eye on Hunter and Flash too :)

Heather and Kiya
Caiden carrying his own weight :P

Heather came out to greet me and helped me carry stuff down. She took Kiya, and Caiden took his bucket, and I carried the gear and the dogs (the dogs walked, I just had their leashes...of course you knew that, but I wanted to be accurate :P). The MOMENT I let Hunter off the leash he bee-lined it for the water and was swimming before I even had Flash off leash.

Hunter making friends...
Even Flash went in the water...and he doesn't even have webbed feet (or paws)!

They had a blast, and Hunter even got his groove on, or tried to. Sadly enough Hunter has become quite the pervert in his old age, but in all fairness it only seems to be around Gracie and Aspen. He tries to mount them all the time, which is quite embarrassing for me. Heather and Danny were good about it, but who really wants their dog to be molested all the time. In fact, Danny was using it as an opportunity to teach Gracie how to fight back. :( Good for Gracie, sad for Hunter...whom Danny has renamed Humpter :(

The stuff :)
The dogs had a blast in the water as Danny kept a watchful eye

Kiya
Kiya's first experience with sand
Danny, Aspen and Hunter

Caiden was a bit disappointed as he really wanted to go out in the water with his kick board. Frankly I didn't bring it anyway for a few reasons:
1. We are at the dog beach. Where there are dogs...like Hunter...that use the water as their own personal toilet. That is just GROSS!
2. There was NO way I was going to be able to watch him, 2 dogs and Kiya
3. The water was really choppy and it was windy, but of course I didn't know that when I left the house
4. Did I say the whole thing about the personal toilet thing? YUCK!

There WAS this really cool windsurfer guy. He had what looked like a para sail, but he was riding what looked like a snowboard. He was REALLY good, and got AIR! He was doing flips in the air and everything. I would have taken pictures or a video or something, but did I mention that I had 2 dogs and 2 kids. At that time I was nursing, so I was a little preoccupied, but ask Heather -it looked like a lot of fun. It was also the perfect day for it. VERY windy.

Thank you Heather,Danny, Aspen and Gracie. We had a lot of fun!! Hopefully, you will agree to do it again...only this time we will try to keep Hunter from violating your dogs. :P Here is a little video of our trip.

3 comments:

HeatherW said...

FIRST...I WIN!!

Awwww your video is so cute. I really need to start adding videos to my blog. :)

We had a great time too!! I only wish that it wasn't so cold and windy!! Who would have thought that when we left our HOT houses we would need to bundle up at the beach!!

I must say that I think Aspen just gives off that vibe...he is one sexy dog!! HEHEHEHE.

Hart's Haven said...

What a great play date for the dogs. looks like they liked being together. I love the ocean and miss it sometimes up here.

Pam said...

Wow, that looks like a lot of work to drag everything down there. Good job! I don't think I could have done it.