Saturday, July 04, 2009

Father's Day Gifts

Every year for Father's Day I try to think of something creative to do that showcases how special the men in our lives are. This year was no exception. I thought and thought of something to do on a shoestring budget, but still heartfelt. Then lo and behold it hit me!!!


A placement...I mean, ya gotta eat, right? And who doesn't want to eat and look at pictures of their kids, or grandkids???? I know I don't :P So the kids and I set off hard at work to find the perfect memories to showcase their love. Caiden even drew a personalized picture for each Grandpa and for Dave...I didn't even prompt him what to draw :)

This is the other side of Dave's place mat. Each one has two sides (duh...but what I mean is that we decorated both sides).

Sounds simple enough right? Get something to put pictures on, secure pictures and then take it somewhere to have it laminated...yea...that's what I thought to. But when has my life EVER been simple?? (The answer is never...it has NEVER been simple - just in case you didn't catch the sarcasm dripping from my words).

Grandpa Lance's place mat: side A

Grandpa Lance's placemat: side B

Ok, I will take part of the blame here, but only part. I DID wait until the day BEFORE Father's day to put this whole plan together, thinking it wouldn't take THAT long. I thought about it way before, but I thought that I would actually MAKE the place mats the day before. That was my first, and only error that I will accept in this whole debacle. It took ALL day to organize and put the pictures the exact way I wanted them, and then add Caiden's work of art as well. By 6pm, I was done, and excited that the project was complete. All I had left to do was go to Kinkos and have them laminated.

Papa Jim's Place mat: Side A

Papa Jim's place mat: Side B

Katie and I walked into Kinkos and I proceeded to explain (in very specific detail) exactly how I wanted my placemat to look. During this whole explanation, I am thinking in my head "why am I bothering...they don't need to know all of this...they just need to push my placement through the lamination machine...very simple"...yet I continued to recite war and peace in the form of "How Mel wants her placement to look". I even explained the importance and significance of the placemats...Father's Day gifts, etc... The five year old behind the counter in the Kinkos uniform (ok slight exaggeration, but frankly my 5 year old would have taken more pride in his work and probably would have done a better job, and I KNOW he would have been more courteous) nodded his head and even regurgitated my instructions back to me. In fact, he even asked me a question I HADN'T thought of. I was excited. I thought...this kid HAS IT!! He KNOWS!!! He asked me to write down my name and phone number and told me that he would call me if it was completed before the timeframe of 30 minutes that he had given me. Satisfied, Katie and I left Kinkos and retreated to her house for the remainder of the time.

Flash forward to what seems like years later. I sit back and think "Hmm...what time is it?" I look at my phone. No calls... Crap! It's been one hour!!! No Call!!! Katie and I climb back into the car and drive over to Kinkos. This is where the story gets interesting (to me anyway). I walk up to the counter (in a good mood at this point), and explain why I'm there. The kid behind the counter (different kid) looks unimpressed, and annoyed that I have bothered him to do his job. That's when I look past him and see it! My masterpiece...ruined!!!! Lying all jumbled and gooey, and poorly put together. He hands it to me and proceeds to ring me up. I stare at him. "Seriously??" I say..."You're kidding me". I am genuinely perplexed at this point how someone could screw up laminating something. I mean, I used to be a teacher. I know how to laminate. It's NOT HARD!!!!!!

Me...on the WRONG side of the counter, trying to fix the place mat. I got tired of the 5 years olds telling my my ideas on how to fix them were wrong, and then they would sneak into the back and do exactly what I said.

Smiling cuz it's late, I'm tired, and I don't know what else to do :)

Still working hard, still smiling :p

Now I won't get into the specifics here mostly because I can feel myself getting heated just thinking about it, but I do want to assure you I TRIED to keep my cool. I spoke in a very quiet, even tone...it was the words that I said that were...um...strong. :P The kid behind the counter just stands there trying to say words to get me out of the store. I am NOT budging. I worked on this ALL day, and Father's Day is tomorrow. The 5 year old that originally took my order retreated, and wouldn't even come look at me or talk to me. I think he was afraid, or maybe he didn't care either way. However, later I watched him sit on the computer for hours on MY SPACE!!!! Great example of an employee...Kinkos should be so proud.

I was beginning to be a pro at their machines and tools

Katie hanging out at Kinkos with me. Her husband was a doll and was watching my kids.

After a lengthy discussion, some brainstorming about how they WERE going to fix this for me, and forcing him to provide me the numbers to not only his manager, but his corporate headquarters as well, I felt we were on our way to attempting to fix my masterpiece. Patiently I waited for him to "fix" it. Finally, I could not wait any longer. I walked back behind the counter and started fixing it myself. I think that the kid didn't know what else to do, so he gave me a staff card so that I could work all of the machines at no cost and just let me at it. Four and half hours later, I walked out of there with my product, the way I had envisioned the FIRST time. Of course, I did ask if I got benefits for my shift, and whether or not I got a ten minute break (they didn't seem amused). By the end of the night, the 5 year old, his friend who stopped by (Soooo professional) and Katie and I we were laughing like old pals.

With my place mats in hand, he tells me he will meet me at the cash register. I give him a look. He then says. I'm not going to charge you for these. I look back at him with a very straight face and stated "Ya think?? I just worked 4.5 hours myself to correct an error on your part that with a slight sense of dedication and work ethic would never have happened in the first place!" Of course I said it with a smile on my face and a lilt in my voice. After all, we are old friends now. I don't think that was the reply he was expecting. I thanked him anyway, and stated I appreciated his time. He then handed me a parting gift for my time there at Kinkos. Katie and I refer to this gift as the "Golden Squeegee" (the thing that pushes the pictures down and smoothes them out".

Katie and I signed the Golden Squeegee

Anyway, Dave seems to love his. Although I haven't had a chance to give Lance and Jim their place mats yet. (So Sue, if you are reading this DON'T SHOW JIM YET PLEASE!!!!). Hopefully they will be put to good use. I'm even tempted to make one for myself. After all, I DO have the professional experience AND the Golden Squeegee :P

1 comments:

HeatherW said...

Wow...I would have given up long before then!! Such dedication!!