Sunday, July 05, 2009

We HAVE a Yard!!!


So I know we have always HAD a yard, but at least now you can see it, and you might even want to hang out in it. Dave and I (mostly Dave as he has been busting his hump on his off days) have been working hard to turn our weed infested dirt ridden back yard into something that the kids could play in, and frankly we wouldn't be embarrassed about.

Caiden on the patio
Pool slide
Chairs by the pool

I should have taken pictures of the TRUE before...the ones where the weeds are taller than me, but for some reason I didn't. I guess you have to just trust me on this one. For those of you who have been here and have seen the out of control weeds, you can vouch for me. :)

The first step was to clear the weeds. That took quite a bit of time, as I promise you, you could barely walk in our backyard it was so overridden.


The dirt was so hard, and there were TONS of rocks in it

Free and clear of weeds
Shoveling the dirt out
Ok so here is the before of the side gate in the front (but I didn't take an after) :p

The next step was to break up all of the dirt and level it. This actually sucked because we had to shovel the dirt into wheelbarrows and then haul it away. When you haul it away you had to just shovel it out too. :( Then came the forms (I had no part in that...that was ALL Dave and Lance).

Forms being formed (you know that made you chuckle, admit it) :P

After the forms were in, Lance came over to help Dave with the concrete. That was really nice to see because after a hard day's work you see so much progress. You have something (ready for it) concrete :P After the concrete came the jackhammer, and breaking up the hard dirt that we had in the yard.
Manly man work :P
Quick Progress with the jackhammer
Now this is a decent size yard so we needed all hands on deck. Kiya was happy to help!

We then got some planting soil, so that we could mix that into the dirt in preparation for sod. Rototilled the new dirt in, and then began the part I HATED!!!
Caiden built his muscles by shoveling dirt with Dave
New dirt...how pretty
Mmm...smells good :P
Time to rototill the yard

Trenching for sprinklers. Now after a day of digging trenches, my back in so much pain I could barely move, Dave tells me we could have rented a machine that would have done this in 20 minutes. Yea...good call Dave :P But then again, we can literally say we slaved on the backyard with blood, sweat and tears. After the trenches were in Dave installed the sprinklers.
Measuring for sprinkler heads
and of course we had to mark them
This part sucked. For all of you that may trench eventually all I have to say is...
Rent the stinkin machine...TRENCHING SUCKS!
Kiya taking a much needed break
Along with Dave. He worked SOO hard.
Sprinklers in!!

The forms for the play set and the play set itself went in along with the rubber mulch. After that sod, and viola!! We have a backyard!!!!!!

Dave put in the play set form and rubber mulch
Grass starts to go in
Still going in
SUCCESS!!!

It was hard work, but well worth it :)

7 comments:

Pam said...

Your yard looks fantastic.

By the way, I like the new look of your blog. :)

Tanya said...

It looks beautiful! I totally wanna come hang out in your yard now!

Jeremiah Stark said...

Nice yard! It looks nice can I come for a swim?

butterflydreams said...

It looks beautiful! since you guys have the skills feel free to come help in my yard..... any time the dirt is here J/K

Amanda McWilliams said...

If you ever need a house-sitter xD I'm your girl!! :p

Hart's Haven said...

Your yard looks really awesome!!!!! The kids will love it!

HeatherW said...

WOW!! Your yard looks AMAZING!! You did a great job!!

Kiya looks so cute...she is getting so big!!