Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I said 1 INCH!!!!!



I normally love going to get my hair cut. My favorite part is when they wash your hair and they massage your head. I love that part. Yet every time I go get my hair cut, I am afraid. I feel like I am holding my breath, hoping that they get it right. Either the hairstylist doesn't care to hear what I am saying, or they feel that they know better. Regardless, I never seem to get exactly what I want.

I went into the salon asking for bangs and tighten up my layers, but to keep my hair long. Yes, I want long hair, so I would only like 1 inch taken off the bottom. "1 inch" repeats the hairstylist. "1 inch" I confirm.

Well, how is it that we agreed on the 1 inch, however when I was done 6 INCHES...that's right 6 INCHES of my hair was lying on the salon room floor. *Sigh*.




Although I think it is too short, I have received comments ranging from it looks "amazing", "cute", "nice", "takes years off my face" (apparently I am old - and this after I was having a conversation with a friend that I tend to get carded when I go places, yet he tends not to and he is nearly 10 years my elder. His response. Well, you look your age. Thanks *sigh sigh*). I also heard that I look more like a "homemaker" and that I look "more feminine" and "vulnerable". So based on these comments, prior to my haircut, I was a masculine looking, hard, elderly-looking woman. Wow! This does WONDERS for my self esteem. :P

Seriously though. I appreciate all of the kind comments. It has kept me from mourning the loss of 6 inches of my hair that was prematurely cut.

*Side note: when trying to a picture of your own hair...it is VERY difficult and quite humorous to do. Also, these pictures were taken at the end of the day. I swear I actually did do my hair today, but it's 11pm at night. What do you want?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can beat this. When I was in junior high we told the hair dresser to take off one inch from my bangs. Somehow she ended up thinking I only wanted my bangs to be one inch long.

In order to fix the problem, another woman came over and tried to pull more hair from above my bangs (the longer hair) and cut it as longer bangs to hide the horrible one inch hair below.

At least I think that's what I remember - it was about 18 years ago. Is this right Mom? I think I tried to wear a hat as much as possible for the next month.

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness, I totally remember that Pam. Your bangs were SO short and they looked so horrible. I remember thinking that the lady must be an idiot. And that was in junior high... when bad hair could mean the end to life.

As for you Melissa, I really like it. Although I never thought you looked masculine or hard looking. : )

Jeff is always afraid to get his hair cut because they cut too much off. We don't know if it is because they feel like they want him to think he got his monies worth or because his hair is so curly they don't realize how short it will be when they are done because it will curl up. I have been cutting Jeff's hair for the last few years.

Mel said...

That's so funny. I started telling Dave about Pam's comment, and before I could get the words out...he started saying..."I remember that. She got jacked. It was REALLY bad" Lol.