Friday, August 31, 2007

The Very Generous Gift - Our First Cruise


My mother-in-law and her husband presented the "kids" (that would be us) with a very generous and WONDERFUL gift...a family cruise to Mexico!!!! Both David and I were super excited because we had always wanted to go on a cruise and have never had the opportunity to take advantage of the experience. Because of this we were up bright and early to arrive at the Port of Long Beach to await our opportunity to board our first cruise.


There was a bit of a wait before we were able to board. Apparently when you go on a cruise the last cruise passengers are departing and then shortly after that the next cruise passengers (aka us) are able to board. However, true to everything we have heard about cruises the food NEVER stops...for either the departing or arriving guests.

We tried to get a cute picture, but Caiden was a bit uncooperative
Anxious and excited to board what I had built in my head as "the LOVE BOAT" excursion...growing up watching the classic TV show I was ready and willing to run aboard and find Gopher, Captain Stubing, and of course Isaac. :) I half anticipated Julie to be there with a bright smile greeting me and handing me the ship’s activity sheet.

Of course before this part of the adventure could begin we had to take in the sights and sounds of the Port of Long Beach – which lucky for us included the ever impressive Gay Car Club – which just so happened to be there. Did I mention that our Ship’s name was “The Pride”? hehe *insert inappropriate joke here* Anyway, I love looking at old cars, so I took a few pictures of my favorites. I should have taken a few pictures of the car owners who were dressed the part – matching their cars…including the bell bottoms and loud pants for those 70’s cruiser cars.

When we first got aboard I was disappointed to see that Isaac, Julie, Gopher and the rest of the gang would not be joining us, but there was no time to dwell on it. We had a mustard drill to do. Now I have heard about these in the past, but I had never experienced one. It was a bit anti-climatic. We all ran down with our flotation devices on, stood in front of perfect strangers who we were then instructed to practically step on so we could fit more people. We all stood there looking forward until these obnoxious loud tones went off and then we were dismissed. To be honest, I don’t really see the point. I thought they were going to discuss safety measures in case of an emergency – you know kind of like they do on an airplane “Your exits are on the middle, rear and front of the plane…”. Hmm…not sure the whole point of this drill, but I am sure that there would be utter pandemonium if there actually WAS a TITANTIC-like event. One interesting note is that Caiden had to wear a bracelet that stated his mustard station at ALL times.


Then there was our room. VERY nice and rather spacious. We had a nice room with a balcony overlooking…well of course the ocean…duh. It was very nice. I have added a few pics for your viewing pleasure.
Our Room number




We had a few moments to enjoy before we were sailing off into the sunset…of course we had a lot of exploring to do, and Papa Jim had MANY questions to answer for Caiden.




As you can see…Papa really tired him out. It was a VERY eventful first day.

8 comments:

butterflydreams said...

Caiden is very lucky to have such caring grandparents. I love the pics of Papa answering a million questions - they are adorable together

Hart's Haven said...

It was a great time together and you always do a fantastic job posting the pictures and narrating them.

Hart's Haven said...

I must say you are so cute Melissa...... It is a muster drill not mustard :) hehe

Anonymous said...

Haha I was wondering about the mustard...

Looks like awesome time... when is the next installment???

Mel said...

Well don't I feel silly now. I was thinking Mustard, you know like Colonel Mustard from Clue. :)

Anonymous said...

Julie was too busy in a stateroom inhaling white powder to say hello. And what is a mustard drill? Do they make you line up single file with a bottle of Grey Poupon?

Pam said...

I like all the pictures. Good narration too.

Wendy said...

I thought it was a mustard drill too.