Thursday, January 24, 2008

Introducing Kiya Raven!!!!

As many of you know, I have been on close watch by my doctor due to low amniotic fluid levels. Every two days, I hiked it down to the doctor's office and had to get an ultrasound and non-stress test. Well, Monday January 14th was no exception. Dave was at work as he was force hired to do some overtime, so Caiden and I packed our things (I had been carrying around a suitcase with my stuff and a diaper bag full of Kiya's stuff for the last week or so) and headed off to the doctor's.

We went into the ultrasound room like every other time, but this time, the ultrasound tech said, "So who is going to watch Caiden, you are going to be induced today. Your fluid levels are dangerously low and we need to get this baby out". Shocked, I just looked at her and then texted Dave that he'd better get off work as they told me to go sit in my doctor's office and they would send me straight over to the hospital. They said that they would induce me before Dave even arrived, and told me they didn't want me going home - I needed to be induced NOW!!

I have to admit, I was scared. I was trying very hard not to cry, but I DID NOT WANT TO BE INDUCED. I frankly, don't like needles and I didn't know if I would be able to handle the exaggerated contractions and intensity of childbirth that Pitocin (the synthetic drug that is used to induce labor) gives you in an unmedicated way. I texted my mom, and some friends while I was waiting for the doctor, and tried very hard to stay composed while Caiden asked a load of questions.

My stepfather Phil offered to come over and watch Caiden until reinforcements arrived as they live right down the way, and my friend Heather came over from work so that I wouldn't be alone. I was very scared so her being there was REALLY helpful. Caiden and I checked into the hospital, and the process began. I felt bad as I had left the cookies at home for the nursing staff as I thought that I would be ok and would be able to get some food after my doctor's appt ( I was running late, so I just fed Caiden and I had planned on getting some food after my appointment. Needless to say, I did not get food until well after Kiya's debut as they did not know if they would have to give me a C-section - they were unsure how Kiya would handle the contractions).

Nurse Allison and me

I was surprised to see who walked through the door next, as Dave was at least one hour away, but apparently he drove 105 mph to the hospital to get there. The nursing staff was AMAZING...even without the cookie bribe. They did talk to me a lot about taking the drugs, but I held firm and refused! The nurse, Allison was very nice and walked me through it the whole way. I asked that they not tell me when they are uping the dosage of Pitocin, so that I would not know when to expect more intense contractions. I wanted this to feel as natural as possible...every 30 minutes they increased the dosage, so they started me off slow.

My veins suck, so I was a pin cushion for awhile as they tried to start a line on me. Five tries and 3 people later, they got one. The nurse said no wonder I have a fear of needles. They let Dave start one on me as usually he is the only one that can, but they required that he use a larger needle than he normally does. My veins did not like it as they blew each time. The nurse tried twice as well, and finally they called the anesthesiologist who used the size needle that Dave wanted to use. He got it, but was very aggressive and caused a big bruise too. :(

Dave tries to start a line
Nurse Alison tries to start a line
Looking at my other arm for better veins...they tried, but didn't find any.
The anesthesiologist finally uses a smaller needle and finds a viable vein

The troops arrived: Lance and Susan, My mom, Sue and Jim, our friend Ryan. Lance took Caiden home with him, so he could have some fun, and the rest of the troops hung out. I felt bad as there was a lot of waiting around. I wasn't exactly in the mood for conversation as the contractions got more intense so I turned on the T.V. so that the people in the room could occupy themselves without talking to me. I also didn't want to be the center of attention and be stared at. :) As labor intensified, I just become more and more quiet, until the nurse came in and told me..."you know, you are going to have to tell us when you feel like you need to push as you can feel everything". I told her I was ready. Dave cleared the room except for the "moms" and himself and then we got down to business. The nurse ran and got the doctor (WHO IS AMAZING!!!), and 15 minutes later Kiya Raven made her debut!!!! In total, I think I labored for 7 hours - which is about half of the time that I did with Caiden.

The waiting begins...
Still waiting...
No I'm not sleeping, this is how I labor. I just get quiet and go inside myself.

She is amazing and perfect. I kept asking if she was ok. I was really worried as I had some complications with this pregnancy and I let my overactive imagination get the best of me. I was assured that she was absolutely perfect! She came into the world weighing 7lbs 2.6 ounces and 18 1/2 inches long! She was born at 7:59pm just 10 seconds away from 8pm. (Her Papa Jim had guessed that she would be born at 8pm...he was almost RIGHT on the money...close enough I say). She has a cleft in her chin (Dave says this is her 1st defect) just like myself and Caiden, and two little dimples on either side of her mouth (from what I can tell at this point). They checked her out and gave her a clean bill of health, then put the "baby Lo jack" on her, gave Dave, Kiya and myself id bracelets with numbers on them, and then we were good to go to the post partum room.

My beautiful daughter has arrived!
Kiya is given to me
Holding my daughter for the first time
Getting Kiya cleaned off
Kiya getting some heat from the warmer
Kiya is shown to the world :)
Kiya contemplating this new world
Kiya's footprints
Kiya's weight
Kiya getting bundled
Dr. Hashad, Dave and myself post delivery
Dave and I look at our daughter
Dave holds Kiya for the first time

Papa Jim, Grammie Sue, Kiya, Dave and I
Gigi, Grammie Susan, Kiya and me

Before we did though we were able to ring the bell that signifies a baby has been born. It is wonderful as it plays a Brahms Lullaby that can be heard throughout the entire hospital. It announces that a wonderful new addition has just joined this world.

Later on that evening, right before we switched rooms, our friend Josh came over and brought me some Arby's - something I had been craving ALL day...remember I could not eat until she was born. It was the best meal I have tasted in a long time. I was SOOO hungry :)


Heather said...

I love her! She is so cute so I say we can keep her!! :)

You are one crazy girl for not taking any pain medication during labor!! You know my thought process...if I can have it I will take two!!

Now hurry back to work, it isn't as fun with out you there. Sorry Kiya...we need her back!

Hart's Haven said...

It was such a beautiful time. She is perfect!!!!!!
You were amazing and did great!

Sarah said...


Mel said...

Heather: It's not the pain that bothers me, it's the needles. I am a wuss. That's why every picture of me with a needle I'm not looking. As long as I don't SEE the needle I do ok.

Wendy said...

that is so cool. when babies are born you just know that they are a gift from God. I am glad the birth experience wasn't horrible even if it didn't go just as planned.