Thursday, February 28, 2008

Lovin' The Chiropractor

Since I was pregnant with Kiya my back has been killing me. In fact, around Christmas when I decorated the house, I couldn't move for two days. No lying...couldn't move. I could barely get off the bed to go to the bathroom.

Well, I thought that post baby, my back problems would be gone. Unfortunately this was not the case as this past weekend proved. Again, I was struck down in pain and was unable to move for two days. This time I didn't have any strenuous activity that preceded this latest episode. I was in so much pain that I nearly cried, and if you know me you know I was raised NOT to cry. One should not show weakness, but "man up".

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. I drove to Huntington Beach and went to my chiropractor. I ended up hitting traffic, and was probably not the most pleasant person (just ask Michael Chapman as he was on the phone with me as I was driving there). Every time I hit the brakes my back KILLED. Finally I made it!

Five to ten minutes after I arrived at the Chiropractor's office I was able to move. He told me that my pelvis expanded in preparation for childbirth, but did not go back to the correct station or place. *Of course it didn't* He said that because it didn't go back properly it caused inflammation of the tissues which is why I was laid up for a few days. He cheerfully popped me back in place and even though it hurt for the brief moment that he popped it back in, it was like instant relief. I could actually stand up whereas I was walking around a bit hunched because I couldn't quite stand all of the way up. He then told me I needed to go walk around for a bit before I got back in the car. Since I was at the beach, he said to just walk down to the beach for a bit and then walk back. I have to say walking helped make it feel better too. :)

I was so happy to be able to move, I went home and mowed my lawn and my neighbor's lawn. I was able to do loads of laundry and clean up the house a bit. Towards the end of the night, I realized I may had overdone it a bit, so I had to slow down and sit with a heating pad. But, hey it felt really good to move. You can take that for granted sometimes.

The chiropractor did tell me that I should not be driving long distances as it is really bad for my back. He was referring to me driving out to see him, but I didn't even tell him what my drive was going to be like when I returned to work.

When I went to my doctor's she told me I needed physical therapy, but I think I am going to stick with the chiropractor as I felt MUCH better after 5-10 minutes. Now of course your body goes back to status quo after some time, and if status quo was bad then that's what you will feel. I will need to go back to the chiropractor for a bit, but I'm fine with that. Until then I am lovin' the chiropractor and using a heating pad at night to loosen up my muscles.

3 comments:

HeatherW said...

I have so been thinking about going to the chiro because my back has been KILLING me for months and months and months and months!! I went to my doctor and she suggested PT but that is very expensive.

Last night when I was leavnig the grocery store there was a Chiropractor outside promoting his new office. I figure this has to be a sign! And now you post a blog about the wonders of your trip to the chiro! I MUST go!!!

Does our insurance cover any chiro care?

Mel said...

It does cover some chiropractic care, but not much. :( I had to pay for it myself.

Wendy said...

I am glad your back it feeling better. I hope it stays that way.