Monday, March 03, 2008

Persistence Makes Perfection?

Ok, so maybe persistence doesn't make perfection, but it DOES help us accomplish goals right? It helps us improve, even if ever so slightly. Practice makes perfect and all that jazz :) At least that is my philosophy.

I'm not sure what it is...maybe the success I had with the grass (see earlier post) has gone to my head, or maybe it was Caiden's persistence that he wanted to plant some orange flowers (gee, where does he get that from). Whatever it is, I thought I would give planting another try. After all, the Rosemary plant that I planted awhile ago is not dead yet...everything else I planted is, but that Rosemary plant is still kickin'. Maybe plants just have to be very hearty around me. They must subscribe to the old adage "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!" :)

So, armed with our newfound confidence Caiden and I headed off to Lowe's to buy some plants. Now we have no idea what we were doing. I mean, geez he's nearly four, and I'm...well, not four...so we just chose plants that we liked. I did my best to make sure that they were plants that we could plant and had a chance, but I kind of figured that even the right plants tend to die in my care, so I'd get what I liked.
Trying to find the right spacing

I bought Caiden some gloves, and his own gardening tools (which he LOVES), and we started to plant. Caiden was very helpful and excited to plant the flowers. He even told Mackenzie (the neighbor girl) that he didn't want to play with her because he had to "plant with mama". Mackenzie then decided that she wanted to stay and help, so Caiden ran upstairs to his playroom and got a shovel from his sandbox toys so she could help.
Caiden and Mackenzie planting
They paused to look at the camera
Caiden worked hard to plant them well

Caiden and Mackenzie planted their own section of orange and yellow flowers - without any help from me. I thought that the plants had just as good a shot if they planted them as if I did. :) They had a lot of fun doing it "on their own" too.
Caiden and Mackenzie's work - the flower aftermath

I tried to muscle through the tough ground that seemed to be riddled with rocks. I mean, this process couldn't actually be easy for me now right? Persistence...that's the key.
This was called "Heaven's Breath". You can't really tell but it looks like baby's breath with purple flowers.
I don't remember what these are called, but they were orange so we got them
The little orange flowers we planted. I tried to clean out the other dead ones :p

Well, folks take a good look. They will probably be dead in a week. I said one must be persistent. I never said optimistic. :P

I liked these...purple
Same thing as the purple ones but in yellow :)
Tulips in honor of Easter

I love this tree in front of my house. I didn't plant it -which is probably why it is still alive
it has beautiful flowers
After I finished planting, I looked up and saw this. I thought it was beautiful and strange so I took a picture.

4 comments:

Pam said...

Ummm, I hate to say this but I think that tulips only last one year in our area. I think I've heard that you have to dig them up and put them in a cold place and then replant them the following year in our weather area. But maybe it gets cold enough there? Or maybe I'm just crazy and listened to a silly story. But I do LOVE tulips.

HeatherW said...

Pam is right...tulips are one of the hardest...if not impossible flowers to plant and keep alive. BUT they are my favorite flower and look very pretty right now!! :)

I love to garden!! I used to plant stuff all over my yard in the most random places when I was younger. One time when I was in 8th grade my parents looked at buying a house that had a garden with an actual path!! I LOVED it. When they decided not to buy it I cried for days!! I said it was over not getting the garden but really it was because the house was on the same street as my first crush...Carlos.

I hope your garden lives a long and beautiful life!!

Wendy said...

My prayers are with the flowers. : )

Mel said...

Why didn't anyone TELL me that tulips were the hardest flower to plant and keep alive? They are already dying and burning. I am so sad...they were my favorite flowers that we planted. :(