Monday, June 09, 2008

A Hike And A Swim

This past weekend, we decided to go for a hike and a swim. Well, the hike didn't go so well, but the swim was fun (except I didn't go in the water. That would mean I would have to get in a bathing suit completely and I didn't want to scare the little children - or the parents for that matter either).

The hike was a bit...shall we say, challenging? Not challenging in the sense that you might think. I mean, to be honest we didn't even really make it to the trail we were looking for. We ended up getting a late start because Josh was in charge of finding the hiking trail, and the first one he found did not allow dogs. I know...booooo...what trail doesn't allow dogs?

Dogs are loaded and ready to go
So are Kiya and I (we are passing time while Josh and Dave find another trail)

We then had to go back and find a different trail. By the time we got prepared, it was the heat of the day, and I was already starting to melt. (I don't do well in the heat. Let's just say I get overheated, tired and...less pleasant if you can believe that).

Kiya's first time in the pack...cute expression
Kiya and I at the start of the hike

We started the hike, Dave and Josh each took a dog, I had Kiya in the pack on my back and Caiden was trudging along on his own. There was a slight incline, and Caiden started saying he was tired and I, to be honest was struggling a little on my own. I blame the heat. Dave then rescues me by taking Kiya, and off we go again.

Dave holding Caiden and carrying Kiya

We get to a little clearing where there is a paved road...yep a paved road hiking. Clearly, we have gone the wrong way. We take out the map and even ask directions from some people. After much deliberation, we backtrack and start to make it to the correct path.

Yep...proof that men DO ask directions :)

At this point, Caiden wants to be held on the inclines, and so Dave picks him up (with Kiya still on the pack on his back). I guess it was just like his work...carrying loads of weight, except he was in shorts and a t-shirt rather than wild land gear. We end up going by the truck on our way back to the right trail, and Josh wants to stop off at the truck to get some more sunblock. We wait for him and then start making our way to the highest point on the mountain. That is when Hunter looked at us and then laid down in the trail. He REFUSED to move. Poor thing. Not only is he getting older, and admittedly is out of shape, but his hip dysplasia was KILLING him. Dave and I take one look at Hunter and have to agree that hiking is out!

Waiting for Josh to get back from the truck

Disappointed, but a little relieved to get out of the heat, we decide to go swimming. That was much nicer for us anyway. Caiden is getting really brave and even learned a few new tricks. He is getting really good at using the kickboard (even though this is his second time using it), and Dave taught him how to hold his nose and jump in the pool. He was complaining that he was getting water up his nose.

Caiden jumping in the water

He swallowed some water it seems...

Of course Josh and Dave couldn't help but have a swimming competition.

On your mark, get set...
GOO!!!!!!!
There's Dave...where's Josh? :P

Kiya and I am just sat off to the side most of the time. It was hot and there was little shade. She is still too young to put sunscreen on and that wide brimmed hat will only cover so much of her. Not to mention that I tend to burn no matter how much suntan lotion I put on. Oh, and of course that whole...fear of scaring people in a bathing suit thing too.

My attempt at a picture of Kiya and I

Second attempt...Kiya now has no vision...
Third time's a charm...that and then hand the camera to someone else. I love her pouty expression here.
Here is a fun little video of our swimming adventure :)

6 comments:

HeatherW said...

First off...all I see in each picture of Kiya is her thiking, where is Heather, I miss her!!

You should have consulted trusty Heather for dog friendly locations in South County.

Poor Hunter hiking...tell him that Aspen sends his love. And not in that kind of way Hunter (SHAME ON YOU)...in the kind where he knows how you feel.

You are so talented with the whole video part of your blog!!

Caiden is an awesome little swimmer!!

EXCELLENT music selection!!

Oh yes and how can I forget...FIRST TO POST!! I WIN!!!!!!!!

Mel said...

Well, Heather, YOU TOO could have taken part in the hiking and pool fun, but NOOOOO you chose to sleep away your Sunday. :P

Hunter and Aspen could have suffered through the hike together...:)

Pam said...

yuck, hiking in the heat is no fun. the swimming looked like a much better idea. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great day of family fun. Specially the swimming. The pics of Kiya are so cute with those cheeks and the pout! The movie came out great too. Caiden is doing great with swimming.

P.S. I'm jealous. I haven't been swimming yet this year and it's been wicked hot here the last few days.

Hart's Haven said...

What a fun day . The pool was the perfect thing to do after the hike. I still would like to take Caiden for a week in July to work with him on swimming...

By the way where did you find the pool without duck crap? ha-ha

Wendy said...

Too much fun. I love the video. But yuck, hiking in the heat and backtracking and no dogs? Melissa, I know it is no surprise to you but... you have the WORST luck!