Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Remembering Lynne Custer...

On November 6th, the world changed. This is the day that we lost Lynne Custer, my boss and my friend. I received the information at 5am, clearly in a state of disbelief.

She was not ill, she had been feeling just fine. As you can see I am still trying to wrap my brain around the loss. It was determined that Lynne succumbed to a massive cerebral aneurysm early in the morning. My only consolation is that it would have been quick, and she would have felt no pain.

As I was trying to make sense of everything, I wrote down some thoughts that I had when remembering Lynne. I figured I would share some of them with you. I have written a letter to her husband and daughter, but I will keep that part between us.

As is the case when anyone is taken from us too soon, I think that it makes you remember what is important in your life. Hug your kids. Not to take people for granted. Share your thoughts with your loved ones. Remember to tell people you love them. Stop for a moment and listen to the world around you. Take a moment to breathe in the life that surrounds you...live in the moment.

I will miss Lynne. She touched my life and the impression she left will remain on me as I journey through the rest of my days.


It is very rare that someone comes into our life, and instantly makes you feel welcome, inspired, confident, and happy all at the same time. It is even rarer that this would be a description of someone that one would work with. However, this is exactly how Lynne Custer made me feel…instantly.

While I have known Lynne for years, I was blessed to have the opportunity to work under Lynne since December of 2007. From that moment on, I felt like I had been welcomed into an exclusive family with arms wide open. I know it sounds strange to say something like that about someone you work with, especially someone who works so many thousands of miles away from you…but with Lynne, there were no miles between us. She created this family type atmosphere with her supervisors that I don’t think I have ever experienced before.

Lynne was the only person I know that could challenge the thought that there were 24 hours in a day. She was ALWAYS available via IM, phone, or email, no matter the time, and I DO mean, no matter what the time. She has this incredible, undaunting work ethic, commanding presence, ability to make quick and difficult decisions, uncanny sarcastic nature, and the ability to melt away any barriers or walls that one would erect to get the heart of the issue or person. Lynne makes me want to be a better person, not only for myself, but so that she is proud of me as well.

In addition to her presumably chaotic work schedule, she always made time to volunteer her time – whether that is to church, a charity or a cause that was near and dear to her heart. She knew the importance of giving of her time and energy to others and with Lynne this was seen in her actions, not just in her words. She also knew the importance of balancing work life and personal life and spoke with a fierce sense of pride and love when speaking about her family. She KNEW her priorities and encouraged us to know ours as well.

When I first traveled out to Farmington Hills, MI it was a difficult journey for me, as it was not only the first time I was leaving my newborn infant daughter, but it was also my first week back to work. Upon arrival, I was greeted by a sand pail of Michigan goodies (with my name on it) that Lynne had prepared for each of us “newbies”. At dinner that night, she presented us with personalized, yet hysterical certificates that she co-created with the existing Michigan supervisors. I cannot tell you what that meant to me.

Lynne made you feel like a person FIRST rather than just an employee. She would ask about your day, your thoughts, perspectives and feelings with a genuine interest that is often not seen anymore. She would remember the smallest things that you said to her in passing, and use them as an opportunity to send you a special card or note (snail mail no less)– just when you needed it….to show she cared, she valued you and she listened. Lynne made me feel special, appreciated, and respected. Lynne was not only my boss, she was also my friend….A friend that will be forever missed.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I am sorry Melissa. she sounds like a great person that will be missed dearly.

Pam said...

I remember her picture when you went on that trip. Very sad.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to stop by and say hello. I sure do miss Lynne.