Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Gigi's 1st trip to the Fire Station

On my birthday, I received the news that I needed to get my blood drawn in preparation for my surgery in 2 days, in case I needed a blood transfusion. Of course this is the LAST thing that I wanted to do on my birthday, so I called for reinforcements...my mother!! She was kind enough to come and watch my kids while I was poked like a pin cushion by a man who resembled Sideshow Bob from the Simpsons. None of my lame attempts at humor worked on him either, and when I asked if he though I was a wuss (cuz of my phobia of needles) he just stayed quiet. I guess he subscribes to that old adage, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". I asked him about that too :P I was determined to at LEAST crack a smile on this man's face and I think I did succeed.


Since we were so close to Dave's work, we decided to swing by and say hello. This was her FIRST trip to any fire station, so she was greeted with a full tour. Dave and crew proudly showed her the engine, the living quarters and let her try on their gear. While I was inside talking to Captain Sears, Dave dressed my mom up in full turnout gear, with a BA and even handed her the jaws of life. I think at that moment she gained a new appreciation for Dave's job while she yelled "ok, get me out of here". :)

Mom in full gear
With the jaws
When Dave told her to try to walk, that's when she asked to get out of there.
Kiya wasn't sure what to make of her. :)
My mom thought that the ensemble was surprisedly heavy
Caiden always loves playing with the exhaust hose...I have pictures of him when he was a little tyke playing with the same thing :)

She had a great time, and the kids were happy to see Dave :)

3 comments:

Hart's Haven said...

Fire Stations are always fun. Looks like Gennie was a good sport!
Keep taking Caiden and Kiya because I'd rather have a firefighter than a rock star in his future.

HeatherW said...

Remind me never to visit David at work...I do NOT want to put all that crap on!! ;)

Pam said...

That's really funny. I'm impressed she agreed to dress up in all of that. Good for her!