Monday, November 02, 2009

Halloween 2009

Dave worked on Halloween, so it was just the kids and I running rampant around the neighborhood. I was a little nervous with my back so bad, and Kiya HATING her costume originally when she put it on (see below picture). Not to mention I am a TOTAL wuss when it comes to scary things. I mean, I am totally the type of mother who stands on the driveway at the scary houses while Dave takes the kids up to those houses. What was I to do this year?? Skip the scary houses completely, or brave it and take them myself???

She just stood and cried. She HATED it
Still crying...this was a day before Halloween
Caiden, on the other hand, was happy with his Wolverine costume

But things went pretty well. Kiya immediately took off running when I got her costume out, but I convinced her to wear it with promises of adventures and candy and glow sticks :) Caiden was busy passing out candy at our house, while I tried to wrestle Kiya into her costume, keep Flash from lunging at the trick or treaters who came to our door and ensure that Caiden was safe and in the house when the kids came to collect candy.

Kiya and Caiden ready to go trick or treating

You will be happy to know that I went up to the scary houses. Ok, ok it wasn't my choice. It seems years of Dave taking Caiden up to those houses made Caiden WANT to go. He thought the lights, and costumes, decorations and sounds were cool. Kiya took after me and cried. :p
*Well, she cried because they had live people posing as props come to life. I mean CMON people!!! I will freely admit that I used Kiya as a shield from them scaring us by saying "It's ok Kiya, Mama will keep you safe, don't be scared". It worked too. That's when the props would give me a little wave, and I gave a satisfied but totally wussy sigh.*

This was one of the scary houses. I know it doesn't look like it but the flash is bright, and the night was dark
This was one of the two locations they had adults in costumes as live props.

Caiden and Kiya were SOO cute. Caiden would tell his life story and introduce himself as "Wolverine and my little sister Kiya is "Monkey", but last year I was spiderman....". Kiya would say "Trick or Treat", and then say "Happy Halloween", and "Thank You". If the person did not say Thank you back she would just stare at them. If they STILL didn't say it back, she would say "Thank you" louder. If they STIIILLL didn't say "You're welcome" she would give them a hug. It was hard to drag either of them away from the doors. Caiden would talk their ears off, and Kiya was too busy hugging people and prompting them to be polite.

Kiya and Caiden passing out candy to our neighbors

Kiya would walk up and knock on the doors
The kids really liked their glow sticks
And yes that is an Easter basket. The dog ate her Halloween bag, so I had to make do

We had a lot of fun, and Caiden was amazing. He watched out for his sister and held her hand. I had given each of the kids' glow sticks, which turned out to be a good idea because I don't see very well in the dark and Kiya had dark costume on. Tired and stocked with candy, we returned home to see that Caiden's friends Derrick and Gabe had walked all the way down to our house to see Caiden on Halloween. He was BEAMING...it was so cute.

Kiya walking up our driveway

Caiden was so cute with Kiya....holding her hand
Making sure she was safe...
Gabe, Derrick and Caiden
Good friends on Halloween :)

I am glad that I took the kids around our house...we had a GREAT time. :)



1 comments:

HeatherW said...

I LOVE that first picture of Kiya!! She is toooooo cute!!